Evinrude 90hp linkage problem

Charles Bush

Cadet
I have a 98' Stingray, 18ft with a 90hp Evinrude. The problem i am having is the shifting armature upon giving gas in forward gear is extremely stiff, to give full throttle you actually have to stand up to put enough weight and pressure on shifter arm to engage full throttle. I checked all linkage and all seems fine, no binding and such, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for looking. Happy Holidays

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 90hp linkage problem

Sounds like you have a binding up throttle cable. I would replace both the throttle cable and the shift cable if this turns out to be the problem. Disconnect the linkage at the motor and see if it is any easier to throttle up...It could be a control problem too...You will need to narrow it down...

Charles Bush

Cadet

rickdb1boat said:
Sounds like you have a binding up throttle cable. I would replace both the throttle cable and the shift cable if this turns out to be the problem. Disconnect the linkage at the motor and see if it is any easier to throttle up...It could be a control problem too...You will need to narrow it down...

Charles Bush

Cadet

rickdb1boat: Thank You for reply. How would you go about finding a replacement throttle cable: by taking off completely and measuring length? by year make model of outboard? by boat make and model? or are they a standard item avaiable.