Broken wiring on exterior of engine

bradhardin447

Recruit
I recently bought a 1960 Thompson with a 1961 Evinrude Lark III 40 hp engine. I have not tried to start it yet because there are 2 wires on the outside of the engine that are disconnected (broken) at one end where there used to be a terminal. I have bought a manual for the engine but it does not seem to identify these two wires as far as I can tell. One wire coming from under the flywheel appears to have been connected to a small black electrical component about 1/2 in by 1/2 in by 2 inches located also under the flywheel and on the right side of the engine. That one is probably not a problem since it seems likely that the broken connector goes to the little black box. The second wire may be a ground. In the lower left part of the back plate on the engine there are 2 wires coming out of a round feedthrough connector. The black wire is connected to a bolt/screw in the metal body of the back plate so must be a ground. The second wire that is broken at the terminal end is white. There is not obvious connector in sight in that area, but I wonder if it is a ground too. Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broken wiring on exterior of engine

hey, Bradhardin. Is it trailerable? If you want to run it by my house in Sarasota, I'll tell you where the stuff goes, no charge. Unless you want me to fix it that is.

bradhardin447

Recruit

F_R said:
hey, Bradhardin. Is it trailerable? If you want to run it by my house in Sarasota, I'll tell you where the stuff goes, no charge. Unless you want me to fix it that is.

bradhardin447

Recruit

Thanks Senior Chief Petty Officer. Yes, it is trailerable. I could bring it up to Sarasota from South Venice where I live but it would not be convenient for a while with the holidays coming up. I think it is pretty obvious where the wire under the flywheel goes and I can solder a bayonet type terminal onto the broken end and insert it into the small black box (unless you tell me that is incorrect). If you would not mind giving me your phone no., I could call you to discuss. I appreciate your help. Brad H.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I know what you mean, time is getting tight for me too. Call me at 371-8179, Frank
wiring1958_6135_40hpwithgeneratorkitfr.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The safety switch in the diagram may be a different type on your motor, that is to say it might be a switch under (but outside) the flywheel that is actuated by moving the throttle. I get the idea that's what you are talking about when you say a 1/2 x 1/2 x 2 switch.