Rectifier question

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,
My merc 60 (ob343140) doesn't have a rectifier that I can find. I'm assuming it has to have one. When I tore down the pontoon (suntracker 20) I found a device on one of the battery posts that resembled a rectifier. Is it possible the put it there to make room under the hood? The only other thing I could imagine was that it was a breaker. All the wiring diagrams show a rectifier but I can't find one....................Jerry

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Rectifier question

u have one
locate the stater solenoid from where the positive battery lead, u will see a red wire there follow it and Ur rec is there

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

JUSTINTIME said:
u have one
locate the stater solenoid from where the positive battery lead, u will see a red wire there follow it and Ur rec is there

The only red wires on my starter selenoid are the jumpers from there to the trim up and trim down selenoids..........................I know what they look like and I don't see one..........................Jerry

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It's reference #1 on the Mercury Parts Express parts list showing the starter, solenoid, and other wiring. Oddly, they don't list a part number but they do the attaching screws. So yes, you have one (or you should have). The output of rectifier must feed the terminal on the starter solenoid that has the positive battery cable attached to it or the battery will not be charged. If that wire is not there, the rectifier is probably gone and the battery is not being charged.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

If you have one, it should be here as shown in red:

Image015.jpg

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

AMD said:
If you have one, it should be here as shown in red:

Image015.jpg

Thanks for the picture that helps. I will look the next time I go to the shop but I know it isn't there. I stripped that block down and completely overhauled that engine and don't remember seeing a rectifier or tapped holes where one might have been in the area shown. Knowing the guy who owned it I can understand how it might have been cobbled up...........................Jerry

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Does it have a stator under the flywheel? A stator is a circular group of coils with iron cores; maybe a dozen.

Merc uses 2 yellow leads per stator output and if you see 2 yellow leads coming from under the flywheel follow them and they will take you to the rect. If no yellow leads, you will not have a rect.

My manual starts at 75 hp so I don't know. I have a '97 sales brochure that says that 50 to 90 hp engines have an 18 amp regulated power supply . The rectifiers nowadays are part of the regulator module which is fed by these yellow wires. Like jeebe showed you, there will also be at least one red wire, and probably a gray tack wire, and a black ground..........if the case isn't used for ground.

Your serial number indicates you have a late model engine. So, If you have no rectifier, someone took it out. So if they did, what happened to the stator and the yellow leads? They pull them out also?

Mark

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys, I apolagise for my stupidity and bullheadedness. I just came from the shop and it was right where it is supposed to be. I rewired that motor after teardown and don't remember seeing it. mark you are right on the wire colors and everything. Sorry guys........Jerry

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I knew ya had one...lol

That pic is a 60hp , same year.

Glad ya found it.