Towing value of 4WD

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice
I am still trying to determine what I will tow my boat with. I have a 1350# empty weight ski boat and have used a borrowed Jeep Cherokee to launch and retrieve it four times. It has been easy so far. I have used 4 different locations with varying slopes on the ramps. I have never used the 4wd but mentally having it available helped.

I have seen several AWD or 4wd vehicles with approx 3000# tow ratings but also some 2wd trucks with 5500# tow ratings. Would you prefer one from the other? I have virtually no other need for this vehicle (except to pull my boat) so I have no other factors to consider. I am looking a mid 90's models if you have suggestions. Thanks!

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Towing value of 4WD

For just towing down the road I don't think it makes any difference at all but having 4wd and low range can be very helpful at some boat launches. If nothing else, I'd make sure any 2wd truck I bought had a towing package - heavy duty cooling system, tranny cooler, and a numerically higher gear ratio in the differential.

I'd go with a 4x4 but it will cost you a bit more up front. Then again we don't see many 2wd full size trucks here in Minnesota but from what I understand they're common in some places.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

With that light load, all the towing package contents on a full size truck is not necessry -- nice but not necessary. The mid-size trucks or SUV's will tow the load with a big V6, locking differential and towing package is recommended. Same for mid size SUV's. What is necessary on a two wheel drive anything, is a locking or limited slip differential. There is a multitude of mid-size tow vehicles that will fit you bill very economically. Dodge Dakota V8, Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 or V8. Ford Ranger 4.0 V6. Chevy/GMC S10 and Blazer/Jimmy, '92 or later Astro/Safari Vans (2 or AWD) with 4.3 V6 "W" series engine. I have owned all of the GM vehicles listed and used them for towing a heavier load than yours thousands of miles each season. The 4.3 V6 is a good engine and will still provide good fuel economy. The boxy, but roomy Astro/Safari AWD makes a good tow vehicle with its short rear overhang, plus it provides lots of room for "stuff".

JRJ

Commander

ferrellb said:
I have never used the 4wd but mentally having it available helped.!

Get the 4-wd and ease your mind. So much better to have and not need than the alternatives.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm using a Mercury Mariner(same as the Ford Escape) inline 4 cylinder, front wheel drive. if mountain driving, would suggest the 6 cylinder. never had a problem on a ramp, and in the Fla Keys the ramps are extremely steep. being front wheel drive the drive wheels never get near the water. so the smaller vehicles can make good towing vehicles. if you expect to move up in size boat in the future, go with the 6 cylinder, and use trailer brakes.

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go with 4WD. I use a 4WD Ranger with the 4.0V6 and launch about 2500lbs.Tow capacity is 5000lbs so there's room to grow.Plenty of these trucks around.Be sure and get automatic transmission.If you go FWD be carefull with tounge weight.Too much will take some weight off the front wheels and make things dicey on wet ramps.

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's easy to say 4wd is better but try to be realistic about your needs. If winter weather is not an issue, and you don't have any other need for 4wd ask yourself is the extra expense and reduced fuel economy worth it for the once in a few years you might have to climb a steep wet ramp?

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice

I have no use for this vehicle except to tow, period. I would never choose to drive it over my other vehicles (small sporty imports). I imagine I will drive it once a month in the winter to keep the battery charged. I am looking at an older 1997 Isuzu Rodeo 6cyl 4wd; towing capacity is 5000#. It is not a vehicle I would normally want except to get my boat to the lake. Am I overdoing it?

JRJ

Commander

Sounds like the Isuzu will meet your needs and you may even have fun with it8)

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the isuzu would work great. even if you don't lock the hubs, in 4wd low gives you an even lower gear ratio than a two wheel drive

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Consider the condition of the ramps you'll be using as well. The 2 ramps I use are in such horrible shape I wouldn't even think about taking a 2wd vehicle in there. Not to mention they're ususally covered with mud from the tidal changes.

Oh yeah, also consider the resale value (or lack thereof) of a 4x2 truck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you need low range on a four wheel drive vehicle with less than a 1350# load something is dreadfully wrong. That feature would be used if you are into "rock crawling". I had the need twice in my lifetime to use 4WD low and that was to tow a stuck semi and the second to tow another vehicle with cruiser on a tri axle trailer up a ramp he had backed off of. Both were successful I might add. Traction becomes an issue rather than lack of power. Even a four wheel drive vehicle is only two wheel drive if it doesn't have a locking rear differential. Three wheel drive if it does, and four wheel drive if it has a front locker as well. I've seen four wheel drive vehicles that can't move on glare ice -- they spin one front wheel and the opposite rear wheel. Add a locker and now you have at least 3/4 of what you paid for.

JRJ

Commander

oops, I thought there was something new hered:)

w2much

Lieutenant

Been going up and down ramps for a while in my Bronco 4WD. and even my Ranger 2WD. On a few occasions I realized I needed more, what I did not know. My tail end was slipping as I tried to come up the ramp at low tide . Had I continued I would have side swiped the dock damaging my vehicle. I pressed the 4WD button for the first time and was more than pleasantly surprised at how easily I came up the ramp. I now use the Bronco all the time just for towing. I have it so I use it. I use the 4WD every time I come up the ramp and it completely eliminates any sliding issues or burning tires or looking like a goon. As I said I have used other vehicles for years and they were fine but I like the surefootedness of the 4WD. Just one less thing to worry about. Plus its already paid for.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

4WD adds weight to the vehicle so your towing capacity will be reduced by the same amount. There is also additional drag that hurts fuel economy. If you are only going to be on slippery ramps occasionally, you can probably get by with an anti-slip differential.

I have had both 4WD and 2WD trucks. All have had anti-slip rear diffs. Have never had to use 4WD at a ramp. I also only use paved ramps so YMMV.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there is any question about the value of 4wd see the "fun at the ramp" threads. That was with a pickup, with a lightly loaded (or least it appears) bed. An SUV will give better traction than a pickup due to the extra weight over the wheels. Still, it is always great to know that you can shift into 4wd if needed.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have only used 4x4 twice on concrete ramps, and that was when it was raining. Under normal circumstances it is not necessary but there are those times when you are glad you have it. I certainly will never own a truck without it because I know the minute I take the 2wd down the ramp I am guaranteed to get stuck sometime or another. Just my 2 coins.....

87sylvanv171

Cadet

I would avoid a Rodeo. My wife has one now and it is junk. Stick with a domestic. I have a 96 bronco 4wd that will tow 7000 lbs. I have never had any problems towing with it. Its my daily driver to. 4wd is great to have i never really worry about getting stuck in anything. Its a great help when retriving my boat. I have even used it to help other poor saps who have small trucks, suvs, and even a car when they have gottin stuck at the ramp or the mud.
4x4 Rules8)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

It all comes down to the ramp.

I tow a 25 foot boat with a 1/2 ton 2 wd (with lsd). I never spin. I even occasionally put the rear wheels in the water. Still no spin.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you will strictly be towing with it, and for relatively short distances this vehicle should be fine. Still 5000# tow cap for a wannabe truck that weighs maybe half that, I think would be and issue of the tail will wag the dog. 4WD is nic ebut if you are doing fine with a 2WD there should be no need for the added expense, weight and decreased fuel economy. If you do have 4WD it is best, not necessary, but better on the vehicle to shift into 4 Lo when pulling up the ramp. It effectively lowers your final drive ratio and puts less of a load on the transmission. It also guarantees that you won't accidently drive home in 4WD, which is not a good thing on dry roads.

If I were you though, I'd keep looking for something else, unless the deal is just too good to pass up.