Stringer: does disengaging ball-gear keep water pump safe?

hcwiii

Cadet
I'm getting to know, and working on putting back on its feet, a 1966 OMC Stringer.

I recently replaced the main & rod bearings, and, to get the oil distributed, I want to turn the engine over with the starter for a bit, without spark, without starting.

I get it that running the vertical-drive water-pump 'dry', even for a few seconds, can burn out the pump. It crossed my mind, however, that when the drive unit is raised, the ball-gear disengages, and therefore, doesn't it figure that the pump would be disabled and safe from burn-out?

Is this a simple way of protecting that lower-unit pump or am I missing out on some aspect of it?

I'd prefer not to get the hose out and have to drain/winterize the cooling system again.

What don't I understand with this?

Thanks for any input!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Stringer: does disengaging ball-gear keep water pump safe?

I wouldn't sweat it...its when RUNNING that the impeller gets hot and melts if not in water. Few slow RPM's won't hurt it, and if the ball drive is not connected, well, zero worry.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I agree, I don't think turning it over with the starter a little bit should hurt it but I don't agree with the statement that lifting drive all the way up will disengage the ball gears, could you imagine what would happen if you ever lowered it then while the engine is running and they tried to re-engage? Pretty sure everyone will tell you that even at the highest position those ball gears are still engaged although they are in the most vulnerable position for wear at that point.

DHPMARINE

Captain

The ball gears are always meshed.Otherwise they would 'unmesh' and jam when you tilt it down again.Think about it.But it is a bad idea to crank or run the motor with the drive up,because the ball gear engagement is limited.Same thing with a ujoint system,just too much strain on the joints.

Two ideas ..... The rubber water pump is in an aluminum housing,so it won't fry as quick as an impeller in a stainless housing........ Also .... doing all this work,aren't you planing on a waterpump job as well ??

DHP

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Pull the distributor and get a distributor shaft at a salvage yard
or a auto repair shop . Get a 1/2 inch electric drill and drive the pump .You should get oil to all the bearings.Its cheaper then ruining a set of ball gears or melting a water impeller.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I agree with the previous poster of pulling the distributor and running the oil pump that way.

Amother alternative is hooking up the water to the drive and disconnecting the raw water feed at the thermostat housing and letting the water run into the bilge.

KaGee

Admiral

Or go to Auto Zone and rent the priming tool. Actually, you buy the tool and you return for credit when done, so it's free to use. That is really what should be done anyhow, prior to turning the engine over.

DHP has a very good point about the water pump.

Bondo

Staff member

Ditto on getting a Priming Tool.........

I Wouldn't Crank a New motor on the Starter,......

hcwiii

Cadet

Sounds like a plan. I'll head back down to AZ tomorrow and cash in the nice $20 gift card they gave me today.

(Yeah, you're right, the ball gear stays engaged at full lift. Makes sense)

DHP: Regarding doing the pump job, I think I'll check how it does in the water first. I have no idea what the previous owner may have already overhauled. I'll see if I can test it according to the Seloc book.

Thanks everybody. This group is such a great resource!

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on the newer stringers, 800,400 the ball gear does stay meshed, the pump is allways turning, get the primer, an old distributer shaft works real good

hcwiii

Cadet

KaGee said:
Or go to Auto Zone and rent the priming tool. Actually, you buy the tool and you return for credit when done, so it's free to use. That is really what should be done anyhow, prior to turning the engine over.

DHP has a very good point about the water pump.

OFF TOPIC

KaGee:

Keith, I checked out your photos. Thanks for that, it gives me hope that what I got myself into here, has some sort of end (and reward!)

Nice job!