lower unit gear oil milk white

shipwreck

Petty Officer 1st Class
lower unit gear oil milky white

i just brought this motor and was changing the oil in the low unit and came out milky white

why is it milky white?

what should i do to fix it, so dose not happen again

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: lower unit gear oil milk white

It may have water.To be sure get it pressure checked.You can buy pressure testors from the discount auto places,but you may need to make an adapter that threads into the oil fill threads on the unit. Some of the gear oils have threaded fittingsto help put the oil into the gearcase. Just who they are I dont know. You might get a mechanic to do it for a reasonable fee. It should only take 15 min .

shipwreck

Petty Officer 1st Class

just saw no washing on screws, is there any other place can leak water in?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

There are seals on the propeller shaft and under the impeller. But if there were no washers on the drain and vent screws thats most likely the problem. Make sure they are not stuck in the screw holes. Good practice to change them every time you change the oil. Very cheap insurance.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If the motor is the 60HP that you referred to in an earlier thread, there were two gearcases, standard and heavy duty, and they had different possible leaks.

Both had driveshaft seals and propeller shaft seals, both had shift rod seals. The heavy duty gearcase had a lower section that required a 19-1/2 inch seal.

Both units required the aforementioned washers on the fill plugs and vent plugs.

shipwreck

Petty Officer 1st Class

how many psi of air would be required to pressure test the lower unit seals ?

shipwreck

Petty Officer 1st Class

how do know which gear case you have, standard or heavy duty
there is no id on motor at all..... as close AS I CAN GET IIN ID IT IS FROM 1964-1967 60 HP EVRINRUDE

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

initially, 8-12 psi on an empty gearcase. If you don't see the source, submerge the pressurized unit in a tank and look for bubbles. If a shop does it, they will probably run a vacuum test as well.

On the standard gearcase, the part where the propeller shaft is located is one piece. The heavy duty one is split horizontally into two sections which can be separated by removing the screws from the skeg side

If you go to the BRP parts manual site and look up the 1968 65HP models, they show both gearcases. Copy the link to your browser without the quotation marks:

"http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E"

JUSTINTIME

Captain

u need to pressure and vacuum test for water in and lube out

replace all seals and the o rings on the gear case plugs also

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't mean to hijack, but what if the oil is yellow. I read on the marine doctor's site that this is usually due to agitation of the oil, and not to confuse it with the milky oil that is usually present with water intrusion. What are your thoughts.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The synthetic oil that I use has a yellowish color to begin with and if agitated it might become a cloudy yellow for a short time.

The milky, cloudy appearance of oil with water mixed in it is quite a different thing, although the water will eventually sink to the bottom if you wait long enough.

It is when the water separates that it is the most dangerous because it can freeze and crack the gearcase, as well as push the seals out.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Try replacing the seals on the fill & drain plugs, fill with fresh oil, run the crap out of it and have a look see before you get into the pressure/vacume tests.