48 SPL carb rebuild.

cousincletus

Cadet
Anyone rebuilt their carbs on the 48 SPL? If so, how hard is it with the carb kit? Will be getting the service manual but didn't want to get over my head. I have rebuilt carbs on small engines and they were pretty simple. Any special tricks or tips you would like to share? My engine stumbles, sometimes stalls and has a weak idle. Have owned boat since new and never has any work done to carbs yet, so I figure it's past due for a rebuild of the carbs. Compression is an even 120 lbs on both cylinders. Thanks!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 48 SPL carb rebuild.

They're nothing more complicated than an old lawnmower carb, just a bit bigger. You can save a lot by just buying the float valves and carb gasket sets. Complete kits are pricey and you probably won't need more than the gaskets and float valves.

While the carbs are off, grab a flashlight and look in the intakes at the reed blocks. Sometimes something gets in and blocks a reed from closing and that could cause your problem. I found a baby mouse carcass blocking one once. Another time it was a screw and they ran it so long that way, the threads cut into the reed block and I had to replace it.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 48 SPL carb rebuild.

Take digital pics and mark the linkage before you start...