bayliner trophy WA/CC List's left

ErichDahlem

Cadet
I have a 1996 Bayliner Trophy 20' Cuddy. The boat sits perfect in the water but as soon as you stsrt to give it power it starts to list left. I have played with the tilt/trim over and over still no joy. Any suggestions on how I can fix this? There are no trim tabs on the boat and no fin on the outboard.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bayliner trophy WA/CC List's left

hi, Erich, i'm also from Jax. looks like it's time for a set of tabs, smart tabs.

QC

Supreme Mariner

No, not Smart Tabs, adjustable tabs . . . Yes, you could set Smart Tabs with the port side side at higher pressure, but the right way to do this is helm controlled tabs with a small level to view at the helm. Set the level on the trailer when perfectly flat, use it as a guide while underway. Plus you get all of the other EXTREMELY COOL benefits of adjustables . . . ;)

Also, different props can have a higher or lesser degree of impact on this. What type of propeller are you running? Another simple adjustment you can make is that with you at the helm the boat should list lightly to starboard at rest, this should counteract some of the prop torque as well.

ErichDahlem

Cadet

Thanks appreciate the info, I kind of had a feeling that was what I needed.

ErichDahlem

Cadet

Have you ever used the smart tabs? I'm thinking about going that route because there so easy to install. Will adjusting the trim tab on the bottom of the outboard help? Right now it centered.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have used and installed both Smart Tabs and three different sets of adjustables. The Smart Tabs can definitely work on your issue by playing with the fixed adjustment (sounds like an oxymoron), and they do add some other benefits. Extremely simple install once you get over drilling a transom :% I just happen to believe that all V-hulls should come standard with adjustable tabs. The level of adjustability and variety of benefits is not understood at all until you have personally experienced them, and tried every combination of speed, drive trim and trim tab position . . . Smart Tabs are a wonderful product for the guy who would rather turn the key and go. That's my spin, but I know you can find many others here who think they are the only way to fly. IMHO those others have not used adjustable tabs ;)

The little trim tab on your drive is for controlling torque back through the steering at different speeds etc. If the boat has power steering, I suggest you replace the trim tab with a flat zinc anode anyway. This applies to a Merc and now that I look we don't really know what type of drive and engine combo you have . . . If you do not have power steering you need the tab. I do not believe it will have much of an affect on your issue unless it is way out of adjustment. If it was way out of adjustment, you would be posting about severe steering wheel torque in one direction at certain speeds.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I see now it's an OB. I missed that . . .

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

QC;

As you may suspect - I love the tag line.