Electric Outboard?

rowerlsu

Recruit
I am a rower at LSU in Baton Rouge LA. Due to city ordinances we are not allowed to have a regular gasoline outboard motor for the coach's boat. I am wondering is there an outboard motor that is electric, but not a trolling motor. It needs to go about 15 mph. If there is not such, would a trolling motor be sufficient? It is going to be placed on a smal jon boat with only 1 or 2 people in it. Thanks you!!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Electric Outboard?

If you wanted to have a little fun you could test one of those 105 # thrust trolling motors and see if it will plane.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Here you go. outboardelectric.org/

EDIT: Converted forbidden link to allowed referral. JB

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would a 10' Jon carry enough battery to run that thing, bhile?

ted655

Petty Officer 1st Class

They do indeed make electric OBs & even sterndrive types. Just Google.
Glen-L has plans to convert a lower unit into an electric OB & not very complicated to boot.
There is a light weight pontoon "water skeeter" that will do 15+ using a large trolling motor.
It's all out there on the search engines. I had several bookmarked but cleaned out my files last week.d:)

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I doubt it JB. It seems like I remember they take something like 8 batteries. Rowertsu, do a google search on electric outboards. You will get a lot of hits. But like JB says, I think battery weight would be a problem.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Battery weights a problem, eh? Just use an extension cord.8):devil:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Stick some spare rowers in the Coach boat and hook the oars up to a generator to keep the batteries charged? 8)

Seriously though, Google EM's

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

AC motor, and a small honda(quiet) generator

Oh Oh....I got to many parts laying around here, and I'm smelling a new project! :%

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

try it out and let me know. i'm in the process of building a small blow boat. need aux poxer. could you put a reostat on it ? without burning up the motor.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Outboard Electric Corp.Has a motor rated at 5.5 hp said to perform like a 9.9 Approximately $5,000 with a charger. Batteries extra.
Pushes a 24 ft pontoon at 6.2 mph,26 ft 8,000 lb sailboat at 7.2 and a 14 ft jon with 1 person and 5 -12 volt batteries at 12.7 mph. I think it might push a 16 or 18 ft easier because it will support the weight better.I'm guessing 5- 12 volt batteries have about 1 hr run time at wot.10 -6 volt about 2 hrs.That would be to about 40% remaining power.I think a modified rowing shell would be most efficient because you could maintain speeds at lower power.Guessing total weight would be about 800 lbs.with 10 6 volt batteries.I think run time with a modified shell would be longer than a planing hull.

ted655

Petty Officer 1st Class

"why not do this with an AC motor, and a small honda(quiet) generator? "
Actually, Northern Tools has a small generator that is for charging 12v. batteries directly.
I'd use a Optima Blue Top series battery.
Use a pontoon type hull and cut down on wetted surface.