Bayliner light options? Thoughts? Suggestions?

CodyGrizz

Seaman
So..have a 1989 Bayliner Capri and want to do some sort of light bar for driving lights for night driving. I went to a local spot and asked about a "radar arch" of sorts..they wanted $1700+ for a simple 2 bar hoop. I mean dang..its 2 U shaped bars with a few connectors and a base. WOW! I know what business I should have got in! I want to mount some driving lights..maybe a spot for my antenna. Any thoughts on mounting? Or something I could make or something I can buy for a realistic price?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bayliner light options? Thoughts? Suggestions?

You are not supposed to have driving lights on a boat. Night operation is done by the navagation lights alone. Traditional car/truck headlight/driving lights will blind on coming boats and you will not be able to see much past your own lights. That means you will not be able to see the coast line, bouy lights, etc.

Lights are great for when you are docked and are loading/unloading, or when anchored and are just lighting the immediate area.

But they are not for driving in the dark. You need to let your eyes adjust to the darkness. You will be amazed at what you can see at night by just allowing your eyes to adjust.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You need to mount the lights so that no part of the front of the boat is illuminated by them, if any light hits the bow you won't be able to see a thing. I run at night fairly often, but I almost never use lights (spot), it's easier to navigate without them most of the time. There are mounts that go into the hull near the bow, they're recessed into the hull so they don't get in the way and no light hits any part of the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

but those lights will reflect off the waves, and blind you. i keep a 400,000 candle Q Beam at the helm at night, if i see something i can make out, i will spot it just to identify it briefly.

CodyGrizz

Seaman

Hmm..good responses. I had driving lights on my 25' and liked it..there were 3 different sets pointed at different spots so you could choose how close or far they were shining and a set facing rear for looking back. My eyes are very sensative to light so sometimes driving at night gets to me. I wouldnt run them always..just when needed. I thought about getting a bar mount for the front grab rails in my bow and mount some there so they were like docking lights. They make a quick release for small rails? Or any other options?

Heck I would be even happier to be able to get in my boat easier like some steps on my trailer or entering the bow easier from the dern beach!!

tashasdaddy

your best solution is

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=6215

edit:
after reading your post in the i/o forum. i would think twice about putting this much into an OMC drivetrain. i know we are lucky to have a good service center her for them, but the parts are getting harder, and more expensive to find. the general concensous is OMC run like hell the other way.

CodyGrizz

Seaman

Tasha..where is the OMC dealer here? I always start spring with a tune-up/once over and have been wondering if there was one here. And hopefully they are better than my dealer in Iowa!!

tashasdaddy

Andy Albritton marine 730 3332 in the southside and Jeffs outboards 387 9779 on the westside. they did haven't checked lately.