1986 carver montego 350 merc help

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
hello guys happy thanksgiving to all.

my friend carver that he has bought late summer , did not has no speed, so after power wash all the barnicle from the hull he got a little speed from it.

last week going to the sandyhook reef with four guys and a full tank of gas the boat only got 3500 all out rpm and about 15 miles per gps.

there is a sound coming from the back of the engine when it is running, real coarse rubbing sound,

warm up the engine compression test read all cilinders from 123 to 125 all.

that only the dry test did not do a wet test.

now we haul the boat the gimball bering seems kinda good its spins freely by hand.

now decided to let the lower unit oil out, oops no oil coming out only thick stuff milky real thick too ,

so i know that unit has water in there, could that be the reason the boat did not have any speed??

can this drive be save/rebuilt??

the spline on the drive did not look eaten of but he plan to change the coupler anyway, reason the two front engine mount was not connect to the hull it rot out so i ges the alignment was a mess.

thank for any info on this.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 carver montego 350 merc help

Sure the drive could cause it. Bad bearings, bad gears. They need lubrication, not water.
Was there water in the bellows?

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

thanks don .

there was water in the bellows yes.

the gimball bering look kinda rusty but i am surprise it spins free with my fingers. the oil in the drive is so thick when i stick a screw driver in the drain hole it came out looking like thick cheese no form of oil looking.

Don S

Well, the gimbal bearing is probably shot, along with the ujoints, if it was in salt water.
The drive needs to come apart and at least get the garbage out of it and inspect it.
When was the last time the gear lube was changed and the drive was pulled to inspect everything?

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

he just got the boat this last few month when he took it ou to clean the bottom i told him to check the drive to see if it has enough gear oil in it , but he did not and have them launch the boat, but from day on you can alway hear the rough grinding sound.

the mechanic is not in town right now don what can we do right now to help this drive he said he is going to pour it full with disel fuel to wash it out, is that a good idea.

i told him pour marble mystry oil instead .

will that keep it from slowing down the rust?

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

dont want to start a new topic so here is the up date.

so far water got into the alpha one drive so the oil inside is so thgick it wouldnt even run out when i open the drains.

i take the four screws from the upper top, ant take the top off. wow all thick . ok in one word it is not oil any more it is like thick grease. i clean out as much as i could, i turn the universal joint shaft and its turs freely antil it reach a spot where it just kinda hitch so t is movind.

the upper gears still look new and shiny, even the little top bearing spins real freely,

my friends says he dont wants it so i can have it .

so i want to get all the stuff out and see if i can save it, at least for parts because i have the same drive.

?? i want to split it in tw how much bolts i have to take out to do that??

also what size rench and allen head tool.

iam not a rebuilder of drive i just want to open and clean out all the junk, lol

thanks for any infoso far i think i saw five or six bolts and one allen head at the rear.

god bless

Don S

Here is a link to the free online maual. You have to open each section seperatly and save it to your computer.
Just run your cursor over the cover page for the link to the outline (index page) then run your cursor over the different sections.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

thanks don forgive my computer dumness but i click on the link but iam not getting no result ect.

thanks for getting back i ges i will just pull all those bolts and nuts and see if she will fall apart. lol.

just want to get the thick stuff out . i have a large tools kit so finding something in there to do the job wouldnt be the problem, was just wondering if there is a special tool needed.

thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Breaking the Upper,+ Lower Apart Isn't going to Help much,.......
There'll Still only be Little Bitty Holes to drain the Oil......

I'd Try to Blow compressed Air in the Top, Vent Hole,+ Try to Blow the Crap out the Bottom, Fill Hole.......
Then refill it with Diesel Fuel,+ Do it Again........

Don S

Be real careful using compressed air. I have seen people destroy seals trying that with full air pressure. It will get the oil out though. Just keep the pressure down to under 10 psi.
It will blow oil all over the place, so be prepared.

The manual, do you have Adobe Acrobat reader on your computer? If not, it won't open.
It's a free program, if you don't have it I'll get the link to download it for you.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys. i want to get at it monday.