Boat Cover - Wetness

GraAlaMat77

Seaman
I have one of the expensive heavy duty bass pro shops covers on my ranger. I do not keep it under a shed since i am in college and the boat is at school with me. i keep the boat covered at all times and keep my seats in the holes to keep water from collecting on the cover. The cover does not keep much water, barely any, on it after a heavy rain because I have the seats holding up the cover as well. My problem lies in the fact that I get some water inside on of my front compartments and on some of the carpet. How does this happen, and how can I fix it?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat Cover - Wetness

Canvas needs to be treated periodically. Try spraying it with some tent waterproofing. Pay particular attention to the seams. "Camp Dry" is one brand name that I use. You may also be experiencing normal condensation due to lack of air flow under the cover. Plastic ventilation devices (air vents) are available. Didn't check here on iBoats but I did see them at Cabela's a few days ago.

GraAlaMat77

Seaman

The cover is less than two months old. I should be able to fix the normal condensation with the vents?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

should help. warm days and cold nights, and it rains under the cover. tilt the boat up and pull the plug.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if you could rig a couple or more vents out of 2 inch pvc drain pipe one to end inside near the top the
other longer ending inside near the bottom. The warmed air would tend to go out the short pipe while the cooler air
would tend to drop into the bottom.If put on the opposite
sides the breezes would cause it to flow as well.
I used to have a cheap bathroom fan setup with a timer to blow cool air in during the day and cycle off over night.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

A fan would be most effective but there are Damp-dry plastic cans with pellets you can place in the boat to help keep it dry.Charlie

salty87

Commander

GraAlaMat77 said:
The cover is less than two months old. I should be able to fix the normal condensation with the vents?

how many times has it seen rain? my new cover leaked at the seams until the stitching swelled up a bit. i was po'd at first.

BLLDOGG

Seaman

I would still hit it with that tent waterproofing spray stuff. I know with tents, even new, they can/will leak unless you do this.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If your cover is that new, it should still have good water repellancy. If water sits in a puddle, it will leak through though.

Not sure what fabric it is but Sunbrella reccomends 303 Fabric Guard to renew its water repellance once you wash the cover.

Rochford Supply carries a few types of vents you can get sewn on or screw on.

Here is the manufacturers website of the screw on type:
http://www.boatvent.com/BVII.html