Cleaning below the deck

Hi. I own a 16 ft. Sylvan fishing boat. I've owned it for about three years now. My first boat. Should I be spraying water or a cleaning agent with water below the deck to help clean the hull and bilge area? Other than ripping up the floor, how do you clean below the deck... must you clean below the deck? Is it necessary? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cleaning below the deck

I throw bilge cleaner in the bilge every once in a while and spray a bunch of water in with it. Leave it to slosh around for a few trips and then rinse it out. It leave a nice pine scent too8)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

I Don't get too particular with Mine either,.....
But,.....
Every other year,.. I trailer the boat up to Maine from here,......
It's 500 miles of Unimproved Goat Trails,..... Especially thru Vermont, New Hampshire,+ Maine.....
Just before I leave here,..... I Dump in a Gallon of Pine-Sol,+ about 30gals. of Water...........
By the time I get to Downeast Maine,...... Everything is Pretty Clean,+ Piney Smelling.......

Other than That,.......
I leave an Oil Sock in the bilge,+ Pick out any Leaves'n stuff that gets in there......

Desert Rat

Cadet

I like the pine sol idea, I'll have to try that. I dump about a quart of Simple Green mixed with about 5 gallons of water and drive around a bit. It really cleans it good.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I use either Simple green or some dish detergent.If you boat in salt water I would recommend shooting the fresh hose water everywhere including the underside of just about everything you can hit with the hose.Let it dry out well before covering.If you need to cover it before you are certain it dried or not ,then put a fan in there for a few days.Charlie