Why won't it idle??? 95 sea ray 175br 3.0 lx

DiabloOwnr

Cadet
Sorry to start a new thread, but my other one got a little OT...
OK, let me start from the beginning:
I turn the battery on, turn the key on, push up on the button to run, press the throttle only button, push the throttle control to full, then bring it back to about 1/4 where is clicks into place.
I start the motor, and it starts, then dies right away.
I can keep it running by moving the throttle control to full and back to 1/4, but as soon as I stop doing that, it dies.
I have to repeatedly put the throttle to full and back if I want to try and start it again.
It is a 95 sea ray 175br with a 3.0 lx. I installed a new starter, fuel line, carb., and plugs.
Any idea as to what I could try next? I am a total marine engine n00b, so if I am missing the obvious, please let me know.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Why won't it idle???

Re: Why won't it idle???

Not sure about your particular model, but.....
Pretty sure some of the newer models have a switch that will kill the fuel pump if the oil pressure is too low....
If this switch goes bad, the fuel pump will only pump in the 'start ' position so it will start, then quit.....
If you have an electric fuel pump, it is possible that this is your problem.....
Don S posted awhile back with a diagram of how to locate the switch.....
Change your header to include the year & model as well as the symptom of the problem & you will get better feedback......
You could try searching the archives in the meantime....
I don't have a link......Good Luck.....Haut

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Why won't it idle??? 95 sea ray 175br 3.0 lx

You don't have the switch that Haut was talking about, that is only on the V engines with electric fuel pumps. Your problem sounds more like a plugged up idle circuit in the carb. Will it keep running if you keep the rpm up aroung 1500 to 2000 rpm?
Have you checked the fuel filter for any water, Do you even have a water seperating fuel filter?
PS: Here is a link to a free online Merc service manual for your engine.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/13/13covr2.pdf

DiabloOwnr

Cadet

Don said:
Will it keep running if you keep the rpm up aroung 1500 to 2000 rpm?
Have you checked the fuel filter for any water, Do you even have a water seperating fuel filter?
PS: Here is a link to a free online Merc service manual for your engine.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/13/13covr2.pdf

No, I have to constantly keep high reving it to keep it running. No idea about the fuel filter.
The service manual is 6 pages?

Don S

No, the service manual is over 560 pages.
On the cover scroll you cursor over the big red box that says Marine Engines GM 4 cyl. Note the cursor change, now click inside the red box. You get the Service manual outline.
Move your cursor over the different sections, notice how the cursor changes when you are over a link? Click it and wait for that section to download. Some are fairly large.

The 3.0 doesn't come factory with a fuel/water seperatiing fuel filter, and most don't have one. But you will find it located in the line between the gas tank and the fuel pump. May have a spin on type filter element similar to an oil filter, but who knows if you have one or not, we can't really look at your engine compartment.
If you don't have one, it sounds like you need carb work. Either rebuild or replace. Remembering your previous pictuer in the other thread, there is nothing visible on the outside to indicate the problem.

DiabloOwnr

Cadet

Don said:
No, the service manual is over 560 pages.
On the cover scroll you cursor over the big red box that says Marine Engines GM 4 cyl. Note the cursor change, now click inside the red box. You get the Service manual outline.
Move your cursor over the different sections, notice how the cursor changes when you are over a link? Click it and wait for that section to download. Some are fairly large.

Ah-ha. Many thanks!

DiabloOwnr

Cadet

Don said:
The 3.0 doesn't come factory with a fuel/water seperatiing fuel filter, and most don't have one. But you will find it located in the line between the gas tank and the fuel pump. May have a spin on type filter element similar to an oil filter, but who knows if you have one or not, we can't really look at your engine compartment.
If you don't have one, it sounds like you need carb work. Either rebuild or replace. Remembering your previous pictuer in the other thread, there is nothing visible on the outside to indicate the problem.

Yes, I have a spin-on oil filter. No fuel filter. The carb. is brand new, unless it is bad from the factory.

Bondo

Staff member

DiabloOwnr said:
No fuel filter. The carb. is brand new, unless it is bad from the factory.

Carb.s Usually aren't just a Plug & Play thing........

During the Installation there is the Proper Set Up to be done.......

Whether your problem is the Carb. or another part of the Fuel System I don't Know......
But it's Definitely Fuel Starvation.........

DiabloOwnr

Cadet

Happy T-Day everyone!
Update: Well, when I give it gas, the gas is going into the carb. But when I start it, there is no gas what so ever going into the carb, so that is why it won't stay running.
So is it a bad carb, fuel pump, or ??

Is there anyway to even test the fuel pump?

Don S

when I start it, there is no gas what so ever going into the carb

When you say going into the carb, are you meaning going into the engine? (down past the throttle plates) ?
There is no way you are going to see gas going into the carb fuel bowl.
If it's not being squirted into the engine with the accelerator pump when you operate the throttle, then you may have a problem with carb itself.
You can check the fuel pump pressure, but you will need to make up a hose and fitting and gauge setup to hook up between the carb and the fuel pump. DO NOT cut the steel line. You can also order a fitting from Merc for the job. READ the section in the service manual on the fuel pump and the fuel systems. Did you read the troubleshooting section in the manual. It TELLS you what to look for.

DiabloOwnr

Cadet

Don said:
You can check the fuel pump pressure, but you will need to make up a hose and fitting and gauge setup to hook up between the carb and the fuel pump. DO NOT cut the steel line. You can also order a fitting from Merc for the job. READ the section in the service manual on the fuel pump and the fuel systems. Did you read the troubleshooting section in the manual. It TELLS you what to look for.

Yeah, but in the manual it says you have to let it "run at idle" to test it. That is why I asked.

Don S

It should also build up pressure with the engine just cranking over.
You can also remove the line from the carb, put a hose over it and crank the engine to see if fuel will be pumped into a container (Be carefull, and use some sense with sparks and such) If fuel pumps out when the engine is cranked, it's not a fuel delivery to the carb problem.

Even if you get an outboard tank with a squeeze bulb on it and install it in place of the boats fuel tank, you can pump the carb full of fuel and see if the accelerator pump is actually working.

Still don't know what you mean when you say fuel going INTO THE CARB? re-read my previous question.

Bondo

Staff member

The Fuelpump will Still come up to Pressure by Cranking the motor over on the Starter......
If it's Working........

DiabloOwnr

Cadet

Don said:
Still don't know what you mean when you say fuel going INTO THE CARB? re-read my previous question.

Sorry. I meant the flys were opening, fuel was coming out of the carb jets, and going into the engine.

DiabloOwnr

Cadet

I just got off the phone with my Dad, who is a car mechanic, and he said there should be a gasket between the carb and the manifold. I do not have one, as the new carb that I ordered didn't have one, and the old carb didn't have one. Is that the reason why it is dying, because the air/fuel mixture is messed up?

tommays

Admiral

NO gasket would be a big problem :)

Tommays

Don S

2.gif
Duh!

Put the tools down and back away from the boat........ Slooooowly.

Call someone to fix your boat. You really don't seem to have enough mechanical ability to be messing with a boats fuel system.

Bondo

Staff member

Don said:
2.gif
Duh!

Put the tools down and back away from the boat........ Slooooowly.

Call someone to fix your boat. You really don't seem to have enough mechanical ability to be messing with a boats fuel system.

I kinda Thought that when he was talking about Cranking the Nuts down on the Carb. to get it to Stop Spewing Gas all over the Motor,..........

That was back in the thread that OTed,.... Whatever That stands for.....

DiabloOwnr,... you need your Dad,... Or Somebody with Alot more mechanical knowledge than Yourself to come over,+ have a Look at what you've got going On......

DiabloOwnr

Cadet

Well, the family and I had a great day out on the river yesterday. Thanks to everyone for the help. Damn $2.00 gasket.
Now I just need to get the cass. player and gas gauge working...