1985 90 Inline 6 Hard Starting

John Penny

Recruit
I have difficulty starting when my Mercury 90hp is cold. I prime the bulb, turn the key to run, and push the key in for 5 seconds. When I turn the key to start, the starter will operate for about a second and then stop. I keep turning the key to start with the same result. After awhile the starter will crank the engine normally and it will start. After the engine is warm, it starts up right away. Am I doing something wrong, or is there something I should check? Thanks.

ncfish1

Seaman
Re: 1985 90 Inline 6 Hard Starting

I assume your Merc. is carbureted.
Every Merc. has its own ideas about starting. Try starting holding the key in (choke position) while the fuel lever is pushed forward about 1/4 distance.
If the starter backs off, then push the fuel lever full forward and try.
This assumes that the carbs are clean and everything thing in the fuel delivery department is delivering.
May not make any difference, but worth a try?

John Penny

Recruit

I've tried it with the key pushed in, not pushed in, fuel lever 1/4 way, 1/2 way, and full throttle. Starter still acts the same. Carbs were cleaned this summer, stator was replaced and fuel delivery working fine.
Could it be the starter itself?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it souns to me like you have some dirty corroded electrical connection. take them apart, and clean. don't just look at them. also check the battery cables for any knicks, or swelling. they get knicked, and corrode from the inside. i chased this problem for months and that is what i finally found. in line 6's are noted to be hard to start. pump the primer bulb til hard, idle lever all the way up, choke, start, then repump the pump really hard, then repeat. they love lots of gas when cold.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget the battery. If you run high current for 5 seconds and starter quits turning that's interesting. The high current will generate heat in dirty connections (like tas mentioned) and in wiring but will not cool off immediately like you are saying, in that you can repeat immediately and get the same results.

Besides what tas said, take your starting battery to Autozone and have it load tested. It may be weak (sulpated up) or low on charge. Might give it a good stout charge and one more try B4 the trip to Autozone.

Agree on being thirsty. My 115 surely was. 5 seconds on the enrichment valve is pretty quick. Mine liked 30ish seconds and the bulb routine like tas said.

Put a little lube on your starter shaft where your Bendix rides also.

Mark

DHPMARINE

Captain

Next time the motor is running and you shut it off,restart it.

Now push in on the choke.If the motor stumbles and quits,the choke works.

DHP

timmathis

Lieutenant

How does it start with the pump-r- till she drools methed?
Tim

MortenH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They are hard to start, and it is a question of getting to know your engine and her special needs. But I think you should check your starter, and the wires to the starter. If there is bad connection, the wires will stop leading power. If the wires are to thin, they get warm and are not able to deliver enough current to start her. You might also have a problem with the starter solenoid. I also think it will be a good idea to clean and check the starter itself.

The starting procedure for these beasts:
1. Tilt all the way down
2. Squeeze the primer bulb rock hard, then squeeze a bit more
3. Fuel lever up as far as it goes
4. Press in the key and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds
5. Turn the key while holding it in to ensure plenty of fuel.
When she starts, quickly lower the fuel lever so she wouln't rev to high.

-M-