Please Help! Mercruiser shutdown

Diana

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I'm the new owner of an old 1990 Mercruiser 3.0L 130 hp deckboat. My engine shuts down abruptly while at cruising speed, then starts up again after a few minutes. I replaced the throttle, which still will not go into reverse. A mechanic told me I need to "replace shift cable to drive." Is this the cause of the shutdown?
Thank you for any response!

Diana (a new, clueless, money tight boater)

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Please Help! Mercruiser shutdown

Diana, think fuel or ignition. Sounds more like a fuel problem. Can you give a few more details such how does it behave if you try to restart right after the abrupt shutdown. Does it occur right after reaching cruising speed. Does it occur sooner if you are cruising at higher rpms?

Some possiblities might be clogged fuel filter, worn fuel pump or perhaps vapor lock.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm thinking coil heating up and failing.

Diana

Seaman Apprentice

BSMan said:
Diana, think fuel or ignition. Sounds more like a fuel problem. Can you give a few more details such how does it behave if you try to restart right after the abrupt shutdown. Does it occur right after reaching cruising speed. Does it occur sooner if you are cruising at higher rpms?

Some possiblities might be clogged fuel filter, worn fuel pump or perhaps vapor lock.

Diana

Seaman Apprentice

BSMan said:

Diana

Seaman Apprentice

The first shutdown occured while at cruising speed. Immedialty after, the engine turned over, but would not start. After 10-15 minutes it started up again, but then began shutting down at lower RPM speeds. Again, I had to wait 10-15 mintues before she started.
Also, at the time I did not have a flame arrestor attached. Could this have caused a vapor lock to occur?
Thanks again!
Diana ;)

Diana

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for your response. I do know that the coil was recently replaced.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats....:)
First put that flame arrestor back on, it is not the cause of the problem & you risk explosion & fire running without it....
The Coast Guard will fine you if you get stopped as well....
I would suspect a clogged fuel vent.....
Or a water/ fuel separator filter that needs replacing, that is if you have one....
There are alot of diagnostic tests, but first I would change the above mentioned filter & see what that does to remedy your problem....
Secondly, try running it without the gas cap, to determine if you have a problem with venting.....
One other thing....
You mentioned that the coil was recently replaced....
Why?
& was the replacement the definately the proper coil?
Lastly, if the boat won't shift into reverse, the likelyhood that the lower shift cable is bad is very high & probably needs replacement......
The next test would be to use a portable gas tank with fresh fuel & see what effect that has.....
Generally a two minute run under load should be sufficient......
Try these tests & post back with your results....
Post up the serial # orf your drive packageif you can as well.......Haut