19', Blue Water Bowrider for Oregon Coast?

(I posted this under Saltwater Fishing which doesn’t seem to get a lot of action, so I’m reposting it here)

Hi gang,

This is only my 3rd post so this is another introduction to those of you that missed my first 2. I'm Kendall from Grants Pass, Oregon and Santa Cruz, California. Thanks for having me.

I've got a 19', Blue Water Bowrider that I'd like to take fishing a few miles off the California, Washington and primarily Oregon coasts. Probably no more than 5 miles out and on good days only, no weather. I don't have a bow cover, but plan to get one beforehand. She's got a healthy 5.7L Mercrusier, but I plan to get a kicker, though maybe not right away, to help hedge my safety bets, too.

I'd be primarily trolling for spring and fall Chinook Salmon as well as a little Cod and Halibut hunting. I've only been about 5 miles out in the Monterey Bay (fairly unprotected) on a 28' Sea Ray, but I've seen smaller, closed bow boats out there.

What do you guys think. Will she handle some small stuff? If so, what are the conditions, i.e. swell and such that I should consider the max.

Fishmore gave some ideas from the Saltwater Fishing section.

1. VHF – Of course
2. EPIRB
3. Plotter – I'm thinking a hand-held GPS to track back to port if the fog rolls in
4. Swells under 8’ and intervals of 11 sec., or more
5. Wind no greater than 15 kts.
6. Buddy boating – I probably wouldn’t be alone if the Salmon are hovering off a river mouth.
7. Good pump and a bucket for backup

A life raft would be nice

Aside from all of this great advice, I mainly would like your opinions on what kind of water she can safely handle with solid helm technique.

Here’s a link to a shot of her.

http://www.myimagehosting.com/show.php?u=4726cmtE3&i=45521

Thanks so much,

Kendall

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 19', Blue Water Bowrider for Oregon Coast?

i've got an 18 bluefin spectrum center console. on nice days, you should be fine. the bow cover is a good idea, and a big pump a must. buddy boating with a experienced boat is a big help. being aware of developing conditions is a must. boating auxillary, and charting class would be a help. know your equipment before you go.

03TB

Cadet

All that stuff is great to have but id also worry about weight and storage for all of it. A life raft, they have the inflatable ones but again you have to have a place that is easy accisable to get to if you need it in a hurry, maybe also a handheld vhf if you do need to use the liferaft in a waterproof, floatable containter.

Good luck out there and lets see some pics of the salmon!

Doug

Drowned Rat

Captain

Swells under 8'? I'd be really nervous in that boat in anything over about 2'. It wouldn't take much wind to turn that 8' swell into an 8' whitecap. Also remember that swells and wakes potentiate each other. A 50' trawler steaming by too close and you could have a 10 or 12' wave. It would only take one of those to totally ruin your day.

Drowned said:
Swells under 8'? I'd be really nervous in that boat in anything over about 2'. It wouldn't take much wind to turn that 8' swell into an 8' whitecap. Also remember that swells and wakes potentiate each other. A 50' trawler steaming by too close and you could have a 10 or 12' wave. It would only take one of those to totally ruin your day.

Thanks everyone.

Rat,

I thought 8' was pretty high, too, but 2' seems a bit low. Is it your opinion that I should keep her out of the big blue regardless of conditions?

If so, and if there is some concensus, I am content with that. There is usually good salmon fishing in the Umpqua and Yaquina river mouths which are not too terribly far from here.

There was a time when I would risk just about anything. But I'm not in my 20s anymore. I value my peace of mind quite a lot. The last thing I want is a totally ruined day.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

8) I myself run a 19' Wellcraft bow rider, there are times it gets prettty hairy. As for now if the swells approach 4' it's time to cut and run for me. May i ask, have you tried to run the bar in that boat ?................ that maybe your greatest concern and watch the tide like a hawk. It's not a place for the faint of heart and no pump will get you out of trouble there.

Drowned Rat

Captain

"Is it your opinion that I should keep her out of the big blue regardless of conditions?"

No, not at all. On the contrary, just keep a CLOSE eye on the weather and get a reliable weather report before you go out. 2' swells sound small until you're out there in them. On a nice calm day with fair weather reported and the safety equipment listed above on board, have at it. As mentioned above, take a buddy (in another boat) if you can. You'll also need a flare kit on board. And always file a float plan with someone you trust whenever you plan on going offshore. Someone you know will follow up if you're not back when you say you'll be back. Oh, and at least one good anchor with plenty of rode and a good length of chain. Two is better.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Its not the ocean itself it's the bar and unless you have seen this thing get nasty, you can hardly imagine its power.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/Fishing Info/ColumbiaRiver_ocean.htm

8) Imagine if you will a bright sunny day 10-15 knot wind and worse conditon's than youd find in a hurricane.

This will be pretty much like going out, with the exception you will usually be riding in on a wave instead of heading into it. The situation can also be different if there is a tide & or wind involved where you will have to quarter the wave. You can be riding the back of a wave like a surfboarder but on the back side. It will run out from under you & the next one will have you surfboarding, many times at a angle. You will then have to straighten up the boat so that when you are being pushed into the trough of the next wave you are going straight with the wave. You do not want to be in the bottom of the trough at an angle. The most common thought seems to be "The boat will straighten up soon". WRONG, you will need to power down somewhat. With the normal wave conditions here, you will normally be tipped to the starboard, your response should be to sharply steer to the starboard under mostly full power, so your stern is at a 90 degree angle with the oncoming wave. As soon as it passes under you, straighten out & get back on your heading again. Some boaters will get on the backside & have enough power to stay there & ride it all the way across. This can work, is a very smooth ride, but be aware that IF something goes wrong, it will happen VERY FAST, as these waves are usually doing in excess of 30 MPH.

That's a 8-12 footer your riding in on Umm and there doing maybe 20mph.............:love:

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I'm with Tail Gunner on this...that area has killed more boats and people than any other place I know of. Not saying don't do, just watch the weather, and the "bar" can be one nasty SOB on a clear sunny day

Thanks guys,

No, I haven't tried to run the bar and from the sound of it, I'm not in a hurry to try.

I probably should've been more specific. The four main rivers I would consider launching from would be the Chetco, Rogue, Umpqua and Yaquina. They seem to be relatively tame compared to the Columbia.

In the URL, below is what I had on the Oregon river mouths. Notice how tame the afformentioned rivers sound compared to the Columbia. I'll just have to steer clear of some reef, submerged jetty and more obvious stuff like that on calm days.

http://www.boatoregon.com/Library/CoastalGuide.pdf

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Kendall, get in touch with the local pop, there is some of the best fishing in the world here. for salmon bouy10, Tillamok bay. the Columbia itself........... and the bar or going over it. Your boat is just fine, yes get a bow cover and a high speed pump. Train yourself on how to cross the bar, and enjoy every moment of this wonderful state.

Nikko

Seaman

I've got a 19' Bluewater Riviera and it's a nice boat. But it's a bowrider, not an off-shore boat. Just yesterday I pierced an 8' standing wave and shipped about 25 gallons of water into the boat - nothing I could have done differently would have changed it.

Stay to the lakes/sheltered waters with your bowrider. If you like Bluewaters, and want to head off shore, look for a mid-90's Monte Carlo cuddy - a very nice handling boat that can take a pretty good sea (I had one of those too)

Nikko