Bad Starter???

kupps

Cadet
I have a 120hp OMC and I cannot turn the engine by hand with the sparkplugs out and the started does not work… I tested the starter for continuity and it tested bad... Can a bad starter prevent the engine turning over by hand???? The engine has been sitting up for a while.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bad Starter???

Take the starter off and see if you can turn the engine by hand.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

you say it has been sitting for a while, how long is a while?
Was anything done to prep it for long storage?
Do you know any of it's history, or is this a new to you boat?

Bondo

Staff member

kupps said:
Can a bad starter prevent the engine turning over by hand????

Not Usually...........

kupps

Cadet

180shabah said:
you say it has been sitting for a while, how long is a while?
Was anything done to prep it for long storage?
Do you know any of it's history, or is this a new to you boat?

I don’t know the history of the boat. I am still trying to locate the serial number on the engine. I know it came from New York State. I poured some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders last night (Wed). I am going to take the starter of Fri. and try again.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

That MMO is great stuff, but if the rings were rusted in place and you get them free, the engine is still on borrowed time.
Post your results on friday.

D

DJ

If the starter has no contact with the flywheel, you can count it out, as your troubles.

Or, take it off, as Don S. suggests. All the BS is gone, after that test

mkpj1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Doubtful the starter would hold it. Stranger things have happened to me. It's not locked in gear somehow?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you see any rust on the spark plugs when you took them out to put the oil in? ? ? ? ? ?
If they weren't rusty and looked normal, just pull the drive. I've seen gimbal bearings and drives lock up and prevent the engine from turning.
After you pull the starter and the drive off and you still can't turn the engine by hand, it's time to pull the head and SEE what the problem is. You might be wasting a lot of Marvel oil trying to get something freed up that just won't free up. If it had water in the cylinders for a long time, it's dead. Even if you did get it start after finally scraping all the rust of the cylinders with the rings and pistons filling up with the grit, the engine wouldn't last anyway.

kupps

Cadet

Don said:
Did you see any rust on the spark plugs when you took them out to put the oil in? ? ? ? ? ?

The spark plugs were pretty clean.
After I take them back out what is the easiest way to turn the crank. i.e. how do I get around the motor mount? Or should I be able to litteraly turn it by hand?

kupps

Cadet

Success!

I think?

After some struggling I got it to turn. I had to use the pulley for the water pump because the motor mounts were in the way. The starter is in bad shape. With the engine in the state it is in i.e. have not checked the compression, carburetor, ect. Should I buy a marine starter, rebuild this one, or get an automotive starter for testing? I am not sure the starter that was in it was marine grade. The boat is no where close to going in the water. What should I do next?

ziggy

Admiral

well, the amature in me says put it on the bench and put 12v to it. hang on good to it in case it turns. they're pretty torqey (it'll wind up on ya). or, more properly, (this is what i'd think would be the safe, professional way to do it) take it to yer favorit starter rebuild shop and let them test it. that way ya'd know for sure it's good. or bad. then on to the next step.
it's a drag to turn them engines with the front motor mount in the way aint it...good you succeeded. i ended up useing a large strap wrench from sears. just barely fit. but did the trick.....

hope ya get that blue one going.......:)

kupps

Cadet

I used a wrecking bar on the water pump pulley bolts.

Are new starters small than the monster that is on the motor??

the gear in the starter turns by hand. I think it may need brushes and a new solenoid.. Should I try to have it rebulit or get a new one?? One of the wire terminals is loose.

Bondo

Staff member

kupps said:
I used a wrecking bar on the water pump pulley bolts.

Are new starters small than the monster that is on the motor??

the gear in the starter turns by hand. I think it may need brushes and a new solenoid.. Should I try to have it rebulit or get a new one?? One of the wire terminals is loose.

Get a New 1,........ You'll spend as much on a Rebuild........

Going to a Permanent Magnet starter Motor, or an Indirect Drive starter will get you a Smaller housing starter...........
But,.....
The 1 that Belongs there is the Big ole Monster that's there now.........

DHPMARINE

Captain

Hard to address OMC parts these days,but if you had a Mercruiser 120,the original starter is replaced by the new smaller unit.They don't even sell that old dinasaur anymore.

You can have the old starter rebuilt,but I am sold on ARCOMarine units.A new one will cost slightly less than the Merc one ($180 or so).Maybe someone can suggest another brand.Merc buys from GM/Delco and resells to you.

DHP

Bondo

Staff member

Starters are Not Manufacturer Specific,..........ei. Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, etc......

Chevies use Only 2 bolt patterns,.... Straight across,+ Staggered bolts.......

Besides the Extra Shielding,.... Marine Starters have 2 small posts on the soleinoid,....
Automotive starters only have 1.......

It Don't Matter which color it's painted,..... As Long as it Bolts Up,... It'll Work........

kupps

Cadet

bond-o said:
Besides the Extra Shielding,.... Marine Starters have 2 small posts on the soleinoid,....
Automotive starters only have 1.......

Can you buy the soleinoid at a auto parts store??? I called ARCO and they said the brushes were the same in a Delco marine starter as a automotive starter.

Bondo

Staff member

That Solenoid is a Part of the Starter...........

You can Buy the Whole Thing at your local NAPA...........

Of Course the Brushes are the Same,.........
It's the Same Starter,.......
With some Extra Shieding,+ 2 Small posts on it's Solenoid..........d:)

kupps

Cadet

Yeah, it was the darn external regulator. It has the orginal alternator which is wired with an external regulator. I guess i fried it when i put the new alternator on - oops forgot to take off the +side wire off the battery and now that i think about it, i did see a spark which would have caused the external regulator to burn out.

I saw this quote in another posting.

I am pretty sure I need a new Solenoid because one of the small post is loose and very rusty. Can I test the voltage regulator to see if it is the cause of the starter not working??

I guess I should invest in a wire brush to clean all of the electrical posts.

Bondo

Staff member

You need a New starter,........
The Voltage Regulator has Nothing to do with the Starter......

Have you taken the Starter Out of the boat yet,..??...