here is the bent skeg, Bendable?

D

DJ

Re: here is the bent skeg, Bendable?

That's not bad at all. I'd leave it alone.

G DANE

Commander

If you want to, i'd say that is correctable, I have done a couple. Hold a heavy hammer to the upporsite, above where you start hammering. Start carefully, an inch or so below where you hold against. It will straighten up slowly. Be carefull.

Skyler2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, If I let go of the wheel, it quickly spins right. Its hard on the arm to hold it straight.
It turns right great!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

By the look's of that skeg, it took quite a punch. How much of the bottom is missing, and did you check to see if any thing else is bent? Is the engine still square on the transom?

Skyler2

Seaman Apprentice

The skeg was bent when I got the boat. The motor and lower seem to be fine. There is a 50 cent piece broken off the front\bottom, but well below the prop. The motor is not tilted, however it has been mounted about 3/8 inch off center to the port. I have wondered about that too. I just think the rear of the motor wanting to push itself right (turning the boat to the right) has to do mostly with that bent skeg. Kinda like going down the road with your hand out the window moving your fingers and flying. But I am no expaert on this at all.

Glennfordx4

Recruit

Skyler2 said:
The skeg was bent when I got the boat. The motor and lower seem to be fine. There is a 50 cent piece broken off the front\bottom, but well below the prop. The motor is not tilted, however it has been mounted about 3/8 inch off center to the port. I have wondered about that too. I just think the rear of the motor wanting to push itself right (turning the boat to the right) has to do mostly with that bent skeg. Kinda like going down the road with your hand out the window moving your fingers and flying. But I am no expaert on this at all.

Glennfordx4

Recruit

[My 85 120 rude looks to be bent a lot worse then yours and last yr I was having the same problem on a old 19' sportcraft cuddy cabin no matter where I put the little trim tab it pulled real bad to starboard and would hurt my arms to hold the wheel.I got a 19' bowrider this yr and swapped the motor over and this boat handles like a dream no pull that you can tell. I think my old hull had a bad hook in it or some broken stringers and I was sure it was the skeg.

Skyler2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Glenn. Yeah, that sounds just like mine. The boat is a 15' open bow ebbtide (old 70's). I use it in the Gulf flats. I can't really put the hammer down much here along the coast as 4 miles out is still 4-5 feet. Very shallow, and the tide is a factor. So, I'll think on it some and hold on for now.
Skyler

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Skyler2 said:

The bent skeg has nothing to do with the starboard pull, it's almost always the torque tab needs adjusting. Adjust the tab a little at a time in the direction of the pull. Do this at a reasonably high power setting (i.e. 4000 RPM). You think you got shallow ... most of the bays and river around us are only 2 to 3 ft or less, mainly less. Get that tab adjusted right and you'll never get a sore arm hanging on!