windshield and power tilt/trim-gone full circle...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
So the last time I went out it was 29 degrees. A bit chilly, so I decided to install the original windshields the boat had. I had to get creative considering I had eliminated the entire cap, but it turned out fine. The windshile has ended up a goo two feet back from original, but it looks fine. I also have to widen the middle window assembly, but I'll get to that later. For the time being I have left the middle window out. The eventual goal it to sew up a top so I can troll for the big boys in the spring/fall without freezing to death. The boat will still function fine when bassin'. The wife appreciates the windshield, things were a bit breezy before.

I also bought a complete power trim assembly and installed that as well. I needed to remove the powerhead and lower unit to get to the two upper bolts, but it was worth it. I still have not been out to run it, I think I have ran out of weather, but I am hoping for a decent day for one last run. Yeah, it seems that I have come full circle on this boat, but hey, that's what projects are all about...

winshield1.jpg

windshield3.jpg

powertrim.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: windshield and power tilt/trim-gone full circle...

Ayuh,............... I gotta Admit Jason,........

The "Skanky Beast" looks Better'n Better Every time I see it...........

It's come Along Ways from the Tear-down in the Carport................:love:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thanks Bondo. My inability to leave things well enough alone has ensured me plenty of project action on this thing. I have a loan I am paying on, and once that is payed off I will probably be financing a new or mildly used aluminum multi-species fishin' boat, but that is still a few years off. In the mean time, this needs to tide me over. On a side note, the blue color of the trailer is now offensive to me, so when the Beast goes in the water for good next year, the trailer will be painted the same green as the stripe, and I will get new fenders for it. I hate those square Easyloader fenders. I put a new axle on it a month and a half ago, so now I am wanting to change the color. Just can't leave it alone....

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Proposal for next Skanky retrofit

winshield1.jpg

It's been a lot of fun watching the morphing of the Beast. Your newest one looks great. Nice work as usual.d:)

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Homeland security project ? :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

great job. sure you don't want a center console?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

"great job. sure you don't want a center console?"

Now that you mention it, a center console would be useful. I'll have to look into it.... :)

D

DJ

Outstanding work Jason, but I expected nothing less.

red cobia 17'

Seaman

I feel your pain.I also did almost exactly what you did on your bassboat project.As I was reading your artical I kept calling my wife in to read your artical.It was very funny to us.I restored a 1971 cobia bowrider the same way you did.I milled over if I wanted to rebuild it or not and finnally just did it. It took me about 2 years due to trying to get tital first.I wish I had taken pics while I was working on the boat but I didn't. I tore the floor out and found rotten stringers,floor,transom,everything.I tore it all out and replaced it.I also put a 30 gal. tank under the floor.When I finished I swore I'd never do it again but 6 mo.later here I am doing another one very simular hull as your's.Same deal floor,transom,stringers,again 39 gal. fuel tank under floor.No where neer done but I'm still trying to finish before summer.By the way why did you change it back to a dual console?My recent project was a dual console and I'm changing it to a center console.I just had to write you because of the simularities of or adventure.Good luck Jimmy

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I mainly went from the center console to a side console to save weight and have a more bass friendly environment. I put the windshields on for protection from the elements. Part of my problem is I really need two boats. One for bassin' and one for the big boys. Unfortunately, money isn't there, so I have been going through indecision. Basically, the thought of a center console seemed like a good idea at the time, but I didn't take a look around my area. There is a reason you don't see a lot of center consoles here. You either have bass boats, or boats that can have full canvas to keep the weather out. The bassers are not out when the weather is cold or bad here, so they don't need the protection. The best fishing for the big boys here coincides with the worst times of year weather-wise. So I have come full circle and am back to what I started with. Sometime this winter I plan to sew up some canvas so I can get out there in the 30 degree temps and have a warm place to duck into.

red cobia 17'

Seaman

Got ya! See I do all my fishing in salt water.I live in fla. so there isn't too many days that are too cold.Sorry wasn't trying to rub that in.On this boat i'm putting in a 39Gal. fuel tank under the floor.It's not hard to run 40-60 miles around here in the river.With this much fuel I can go all day and not even have to worry about refueling.Well best of luck I'll keep checking in from time to time.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Don't sweat it, you were not rubbing anything in. I like living here, cold weather aside. I have lived in Georgia, so I know the deal down yonder. Sepnt some time on the intracoastal waterways, pretty cool.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would also like to build me a "vinyl cabin" so I can go out all year. I hope you get to it first so I can copy you.d:) I plan on putting a couple of 12V heaters in, too. Here in Georgia, and the lowest temp here is in the mid 30's.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Kevin, I sure know the deal with Savannah. I was stationed at Ft. Stewart from 94 to 98. Right now I am fighting snow and seriously cold temps, can't say when I'll get to my canvas...