Ignition issue with 1979 Merucyr 115

teewhy

Cadet
I'm troubleshooting a 1979 inline 6 Merc 115. The problem: nothing happens when the key is turned at the control.

What I've done:
- Load tested the new battery - 12.6 v good to go
- Tested voltage from battery to starter solenoid - 12.6v good to go
- Jumped from battery to starter - starter works/flywheel turns
- Tested choke button at control - works fine as shutters close on carbs

There is absolute silence when I turn the key. I suspect the neutral switch, but, I'm not sure how to test it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Tyler

(for what it's worth . . . the trim up/down doesn't work either. The trim motor is getting power as the solenoid is activated (clicks) when I push the center button on the control panel, but, the up and down switches do not respond . . . thanks!)

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: Ignition issue with 1979 Merucyr 115

have u check for volts at key switch?
check the ground also
it could be your emergency stop switch or neutral switch also8)

Tuck_72

Cadet

Also check for corrosion where your wires are plugged in from your control box....Green slime and rust will block the 12volts...Maybe it is a simple fix like not being plugged in all the way.....But since you have your choke, justintime may be on the right path.....

Make sure you battery wires are all clean and the "green and white powder" is removed from them for a good flow of juice.....

Laddies

Banned

As long as the choke works you have power to the ign switch, so you need to ck the engine plugin the pins get loose over time, if thats not the problem then the start circurt in the key switch is bad or the neutral start switch is not working or the harness has a bad wire in ti to find the last 3 you will have to disassemble the box

teewhy

Cadet

Thanks very much for all the support and suggestions. The culprit . . . the neutral switch. I removed/disassembled the controls and found the neutral switch gummed up with grease (for the control gears) which was causing the contact sensor to remain in the depressed postion. I cleaned it up and she turned right over - starter even sounded better than when I jumped the control circuit (very pleased that I'm not going to have to spring for a new starter). I'm glad my troubleshooting had me tear down the controls because I found the wires to be very corroded and will most likely re-do them all this winter to ensure no future problems.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Good boating!

Tyler

gotboostedvr6

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have the same problem but when i jump the starter i dont get spark even with the key in the (on) possission

ricksrster

Commander

Your problem is probably the kill switch, neutral switch, or the mercury switch shorting out also.
You could also have ignition problems. You should check the rectifier, stator and trigger, spark plug wires and coils.