Reliability?

sonicvalley

Recruit
Does anyone know the reliability of Fiberform boats? I am looking at buying a 1978 20' and am curious about the quality. what about parts?

Thanks

klicknative

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Reliability?

I've had a 15' for about 5 months now, well built and they had a good reputation.

mrproduxn

Recruit

5 years ago i purchased a 1976 19.2 offshore cc with vp 270 and 350 v8.it has been a great boat.you can expect very little trouble with the basic boat.volvo makes great equipment.the biggest problem with boats that old are the corrosion of nuts,bolts and fasteners.of course,as in my case,the salt water in the chesapeake bay takes a toll on the salt water cooled equipment.i currently have an overheating problem i am chasing down.structurally they were built much better than post 1984 boats.that is when the industry went to thinner fiberglass in the hull construction.also bayliner,the budget boater manufacturer,scooped up many brand names including fiberform to expand their stronghold and eliminate better built competition.i say keep it.

mrproduxn

Recruit

p,s.
if your boat has an omc outdrive sell it as quickly as you can.it is junk or will be junk.mercruiser ib/ob,volvo ib/ob or most outboards will serve you well.junkyards are overflowing with omc powered boats.good luck.

Oliver Twist

Cadet

I have a 1977 West Porter( crusier) 22.5ft with a Mercrusier 302. I can not complain, appears to be built better than later models. Parts for the motor can be found at NAPA. They have a marine catalog that has most part, some are pricey.