Is there any reason NOT to buy a trolling motor with more power?

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey All,

I just bought a Minn Kota PowerDrive w/ Universal Sonar 70#, 60" shaft for my 2006 Lowe Fish & Ski 17' Aluminum Deep Vee Hull.

I recieved it via UPS, and there was damage to the box, I found that the armature was bent on the motor, So I am sending it back To Amazon.com.

Amazon.com doesn't have any more of this motor, but they do have an 80# 60" PowerDrive w/ Universal Sonar for the same price I paid for the 70#.

So 10 #'s more of thrust FREE. But is there any reason NOT to get a motor with more thrust? 70#'s is more than I need. This motor is replacing a 71# Motor Guide that had PLENTY of torque for my boat.

I am just curious if there is any negative's to getting more thrust? More battery consumption? Less speed adjustment? etc?

Thanks all,

-TheChad

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is there any reason NOT to buy a trolling motor with more power?

Go for it. Don't see a downside except for dumping someone over the side if you happen to hit the "go pedal" when its set on high. Just because you have the power doesn't mean you need to use it. But it's nice to know you have it if you need it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

"I am just curious if there is any negative's to getting more thrust?"

No! Least not as far as I'm concerned. Like yesterday I was trying to work a point with a 20 mph wind. I had to use all my reserve to fish the point. Mine is 69 lb Brute from MotorGuide on a 17' boat.

HTH,

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

C'mon Mark -- let's not be talking fishing. I had to drag the snowblower out and blow six inches of snow out of my driveway this morning. :| SeaFoam did the trick as usual though -- the 10 HP Tecumseh fired on the first tug. So much for fuel going sour in 7-1/2 months. We need a little cold weather so we can get out ice fishing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What's really annoying is that I golfed in near 70 degree weather on Monday.

D

DJ

You can never have too much power in an electric. As said, just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it.

I've had situations too that I wish I had just a bit more punch.

That's a nice motor you bought. Sounds like Amazon is treating you right.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree with all above and will also add that unit with more power use less battery. The power saver circuits to pulse the motor and save power do not save much if the motor is set on full power. However when you don't need full power and set it on a lower setting the battery savers work great to save the battery.

On an aluminum boat with set on high with 80 pounds you can very easily get some off ballance. Same as if you punched the outdive with someone standing up but you should never need full power.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as said it's over kill, but go for it. never know when it will have to get you home.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Silvertip. I think your weather has arrived here yesterday. d:)

And tas' comment about getting you home is surely valid. In the old days, when the trusty OB died you had to get the paddle or oars out. Now you can sit back, relax, enjoy a beverage of choice, and let the electric do it for you. The bigger, the sooner you get home. d:)

Mark