Partial floor replacement

Holymann

Cadet
Gentlemen, 8)

Again I call on your expertise and experience. I have just purchased a 1975 16 ft Bass fishing boat, sight unseen. It was recommended by a good friend, whom I trust explicitly. I got it for a good price just based on the restored trailer (with full size custom wheels), rebuilt Johnson 55hp w/power trim&tilt, and two fish finders, trolling motor, and fishing etc.

The prior owner states that he restored the boat less about 2years ago. He replaced the transom, flooring, and deck areas. Stated he properly fiberglassed the whole shebang. The only reason he is selling the boat is that he had a major heart attack and by-pass surgery, so he can't handle the boat anymore. He now fishes with his son on his son's 21' Skeeter.

My friend informs me that the craftmanship looks good.
The only problem with the boat is that the driver seat rocks and has a little give underneath it. Told by the previous owner and then observed by my friend. The former owner believes that the plywood layers are separating slightly, and that I should only replace this section of the floor.

I truly believe the gentleman statements. d:) He has been consistent and seems extremely honest. His forthrightness is highly expressed in his vocal mannerisms.

HOWEVER, the real question is, "How should I precede with checking this out area for repair?"

I am of the mindset to:
1. Remove the pedestal seat mount and surrounding carpet.
2. Drill a few holes in the are and check for mold, mildew, and rot. Also check the fiberglassing of the flooring.
3. If the fiberglassing seems good, and there is no rot, I will cut a good size section out. (approx 2x the width of the mount and between the stringers (which are suppose to be fiberglass).
4. Place 1"x2" bracing struts on the edges and every 4-6 inches underneath it and mount a new section of plywood flooring. ( All parts will be properly coated with resin and matting as required. )
5. Replace the carpeting and remount the seat.

Does this seem right?
Am I on the right track?
What are your suggestions?

PS - I will post pictures of this boat later and give an update on my 1964 Terry Bass boat project. Starting small and working to big.

strizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Partial floor replacement

Sounds like a good plan of attack. Now if you want to go over board...hehe You could put a nice metal backing plate under your new piece so that when it comes time to reinstall that seat, you can drill and tap the holes for mounting it... Something that Crownline does that I kinda like.

i386

Captain

I was wondering where you went!

Holymann

Cadet

I like that ideal, a metal backing plate.
Any special considerations??

Or should I replace the wood 1x2 with some aluminum or stainless steel strips??

Then I could just screw the relacement section and the seat into the strips.

Thoughts ............

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i feel wood holds better with screws, than aluminum, dur to vibration, vibration is the reason aluminum wiring was outlawed in homes. aluminum is soft, and the holes will wallow out and the screw become loose.

Holymann

Cadet
Re: Partial Floor Replacement

Re: Partial Floor Replacement

Could always use stainless steel. If properly placed and thread sealant is usaed the vibration should not have that great of an effect.

My thought is that I need something more substantial than wood to hold the screws. I could use a lagbolt of some type also.

More thoughts / suggestions.

Holymann

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

SS hollow wall anchors exist for just this purpose. They can be installed from the top, sealed to the floor and the seats bolted to them. You can find them in marine stores and catalogs

Holymann

Cadet

That's what I needed to know. There is a product :'( for the application I am attempting. 8)

Any stores in particular?? ?? ??

Holymann

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have seen them in the big chain marine stores BoatUS, West Marine, Boaters World, maybe even cabalas or Overton's

Holymann

Cadet

I have purchased and inspected the boat. It appears that both center seats were just "screwed into the deck.
I am almost certain that the screws used were not suffficient to hold the pedestal and have weakened.

I plann to remove the seats and dril three 1inch holes and inspect the flooring for rot under the seat pedestal area. If it is solid I will reseal the fiberglassed floor nd use the marine toggle bolts to hold a new pedstal stan in the same area. This is after I plug and patch the holes.

If I find rot I will replaced the whole floor in the summer. I already have another boat that I am working on.

Holymann