VP 4.3GL-PEFS yr 2000 Engine Removal Question

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have the three VP manuals Engine,Electrical and Sterndrive. The boat is 6 years old and I want to replace the exhaust manifolds and risers and repaint the engine and overhaul the wiring. Its a salt water boat and it needs some TLC. I want to remove the engine but would appreciate any information on the order to do things any tips etc or pointers to another manual if I am missing one.

I really would like it quite vorbose if poss but at a hight level is fine. i.e remove sterndrive, disconnect earthing strap.

Thanks for any help

Regards

Chris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 4.3GL-PEFS yr 2000 Engine Removal Question

Without being able to see the engine and what is hooked to it, and how much room you have to work with, what you want is impossible. It changes on every boat.
Some of the basics are.
1. Remove the drive
2. remove the 2 nuts (3/4" socket) and big washers on the rear motor mounts.
3. Remove the 4 bolts holding the motor mounts to the stringers, you want to keep the mounts mounted to the engine.
4. Disconnect the throttle cable from the engine.
5. Disconnect the main battery cables both positive and ground from the engine. The + should be on the starter and the neg. should be on the flywheel housing.
6. Disconnect the main electrical plug (it's round)
7. Disconnect any other wiring you may find that connects the engine to the boat. Including trim pump plug
8. Remove the clamps from the exhaust hoses where they attach to the exhaust Y pipe and pry the hoses loose from the pipe so they will lift off when you lift the engine.
9. Disconnect the 2 power steering hoses at the cylinder on the transom shield.
10. Disconnect the water intake hose at the transome shield just above the coupler.
11. Disconnect the fuel line going to the engine.
12. Lift the engine out of the boat.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just did this with my 4.3L VP. I ended up tearing the motor down to the block and replacing rear main seal, front timing chain cover, oil pan gasket as well as all tune up parts. It is a lot easier to do all of this with the motor out and it costs very little for the parts. You will need a gear puller if you decide to do the front seal. I tore it down to the block then painted it vp red and then started putting everything back on bolt by bolt replacing anything that looked questionable. I do not want to do this again any time soon. I would say that without the Manis and Risers I am into it for about $200.00 bucks. The manis and risers will be another $500.00 but i will have a motor that no longer leaks oil all over the bilge and I know is going to last. I also painted the bilge with bilge paint as it was white with oil stains all over it.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

For your saltwater boat be sure to coat the motor down with a good corrosion blocker before you reinstall it. There is no better time or way to get the blocker in, under, around, and behind all the parts you can't get to with the engine installed.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Guys, thanks for the help and the pointers, I appreciate its difficult without seeing it. But its a good starting point. I am removing the exhaust manifolds for better access and have removed all the surrounding seats.

I will be replacing anything that looks worn and repainting. Its corrosions thats my enemy.

Many thanks

Chris