VP 4.3GL-PEFS yr2000 - Starter Motor Question

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The starter motor stopped working. I followed the tests in the VP Electrical Manual and identified that the solenoid was at fault. Because I wanted to get some fogging oil in I tried to use a jumper cable directly to the starter from the battery. The starter spun but not fast enough to engage. I presume this is because the connections done by hand were not good enough to get the required current to the starter.

1) Does this make sense?
2) Should I get a replacement soleniod or replace the starter as well as its six years old?

Regards

Chris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 4.3GL-PEFS yr2000 - Starter Motor Question

If the solenoid is bad, even jumping it isn't going to work.
Have the starter tested by a shop to see if the starter is also bad. No way of telling without doing the tests. And if you are jumping it in the wrong place, it could run and not engage.

cmyers_uk

Thanks Don, The starter is now out and there is alot of corrosion on the casing etc. Following the tests in the manual definately indicated a bad solenoid.

Now its out I am going to perform the bench tests in the manual. But I suspect because of the corrosion I will purchase a new unit. This year is the time for a major overhaul.

For my interest so I can understand why things work would you mind explaining why what I did below would not work.

To jump the starter, I took a feed from the + of the battery directly to the cable that comes from the starter and connects to the bottom post on the solenoid. Why would this not work, other than not getting enough current?

Many Thanks

Chris.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF you jumped to terminal C in the pic below, all that will do is run the motor, it will not engage the solenoid, and the solenoid has to pull on in order to push the bendix into the flywheel.
If a solenoid it bad, you can't start the engine, no matter how you jump it.

Start%20Solenoid.png

cmyers_uk

Thank you Don, Now I understand and that is exactly what happened and how it works. I had never heard of the Bendix gear engaging system I had thought incorrectly that it used centrifugal force and the solenoid just acted as a relay. I placed the order for the new unit today.

Many thanks for taking the time to talk me through it.

Regards

Chris