Outdrive Stand?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone built a quick and easy outdrive stand to facilitate working on your Merc outdrive. It would seem to be clumsy to disassemble, reseal, replace water pump etc by just throwing it up on a bench.

If ya got any pictures, please post 'em.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Outdrive Stand?

Boomer I stole this design from a local yard who used it for all different drives. Obviously I cut mine to fit my drive.

outdrive%20stand%20002.jpg

outdrive%20stand%20003.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

One more example of the power of the internet! KaGee, whether ya stole it or not, you da man. That is as simple and straight forward as one could get (I think), certainly more simple than I could have conjoured up.

If that stand is stable would you post the 3 dimensions of it. It would save me a little time. I'll use some cardboard to make the contour patterns.

Thanks!

btw, good lookin outdrive, my heart is really with those white ones.8)

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Boom....What ever the hight is, adjust it to fit your application (hight of your gearcase from the ground/floor). A set of casters would be a nice addition, and would ease removal and instalation. You could also build a second one to a comfortable working hight.

My .02

tommays

Admiral

f486cc62.jpg

deck boards screwed into the work bench at the right working level

Fast Easy Cheep Sturdy

Tommays

imported_TheMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those are beautiful. If I had a garage or some place to store it I would have it built in a second! Until then I have been using a cooler...

KaGee

Admiral

Boomer, it's buried in the shed. I'll have to measure it tomorrow.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's one I built. The plywood ends were 12"X12" because that's what size the 2 pieces were that I had.
The cross pieces (2X4) were 16" because that is the size of the shortest 4 pieces I had. The angle could be anything, as long as the bullet of the drive sits on it.
It really wasn't stable enough to work on the drive, only because there was nothing to prevent the drive from tipping side to side. Even a couple of blocks to stop the skeg from moving would help. I only set the drives on them so they don't take up so much space. I've made half a dozen for the shop

Stand.jpg

PS: They will not slow down the 36" wheels of a big fork lift, and after tangling with those wheels, they will not support a drive. :=

Bondo

Staff member

I didn't take this picture to highlight my Outdrive Work Stand,.......
But it shows it reasonably well,........

100_3432.jpg

Just a couple hunks of steel I welded to the top of my roll around steel bench,.........(under the aluminum threshold pieces)
Slide the drive into the V,+ Go To It........

I did a Slight Redesign of Don's Idea for Storage Racks when he posted them awhile back,....
I used 2X6s or 2X8s,+ mounted them on a Roll Around Outboard Motor Stand I welded up 20 years ago.....
Outboards Up,+ Outdrives Down,..... It's a Heavy Stand......

Btw,...... Those Chunks of Aluminum beside the grinder,..??..??.......
Those are the new Thresholds for the "Mom's Paycheck",..... to secure the Gangplank,......:love:

phragle

Recruit

dont have a pik but the black and decker workmate protable little deals work great

WM225_5.jpg

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it worked for me. great post. can also work for the o/b's