Can you start thr motor with outdrice off?

cobia-boat

Seaman
Call me stupid, but I'm fairly new and still learning. I pulled the lower units to rebuild. I still wanted to fog the motor can I still start it with the outdrive off. I already know about cooling meaning there will be none.

cobia-boat

Seaman
Re: Can you start thr motor with outdrice off?

wow I guess I'm not just new to boating, but also at spelling oopps

cobia-boat

Seaman

I have two mercruiser 260 with pre alpha drives 1983

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes you can, just disconnect the water hose from the inside connection on the transom shield. Hook a water hose to the hose (NOT the transom shield,) so your garden hose supplies water to the engine under pressure. Make sure the engine is level or front up, turn on the hose and start it up.

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cobia-boat,
Take a look at Mercstuff.com. Click on "Tools and Parts" then click on number "2" "Cooling Tools". They have a device that fits over the cooling hole on the bell housing, mount your garden hose to it. I have one and it worked great..

Bondo

Staff member

cobia-boat said:
Call me stupid, but I'm fairly new and still learning. I pulled the lower units to rebuild. I still wanted to fog the motor can I still start it with the outdrive off. I already know about cooling meaning there will be none.

If you were to do it That Way,..........
You'll be Burning up Alot of Things,.........
The Exhaust Flappers come to mind...........

As stated above,......
Ayuh,....
It Can be run Without the Lower Unit, or the Outdrive,.......
But,.....
You Still need to provide Water to the Motor........

packerman

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, but for fogging, can't you start it, get back quickly, dump in oil/spray fogging oil for 5-10 seconds and get back quickly, turn off again without doing any damage what-so-ever heatwise. Get a friend to help and you can probably get it done in around 10 seconds.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Best to have someone in the boat to turn the engine off while your still spraying the fogging oil in.
By the time you walk up front to turn the key off the fogging oil will be burnt off..