Seal space under windows

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
19' BR. Winshield is sealed up OK but the side windows (those ones that angle down to hull, about 3-4' long at top of gunwale) have a 1/8 gap between the bottom of the window unit and the fiberglass hull. Looks like the black seal has just worn out and gone away in most places. I thought it screwed down from below the fiberglass, but turns out it's from the top.

I can't figure an easy way to get to the screws as they are in the unit somewhere. I'm thinking I'll just leave them there and get some sealing type caulk in the open space and be done with it.

What product to use for this? 3M 4200 seems well liked for sealing but not so perm i can never remove the window unit. I have 4200 and 5200. Is 4200 a good choice? or other ideas.

Also, a couple snaps for the canvas have pulled out of the fiberglass. The opening is too big to screw it back in so I put 3M 5200 on the snap and set it in the spot where the hole is. a day later and it's not holding in place, Is that too soon? or may I not have used the right product?

Thanks.

strizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Seal space under windows

If you cant remove the window to install a foam gasket for it to sit on (Lowes or HD), I guess sealing it up would be the way to go. 4200 would work great for sealing up something like that, to make it nice and clean, use a rag and some acetone to go over it when done (well more like a crap load of rags... ). As for the snaps pulling out, our shop has snaps that have a great diameter to them for when the old ones pull out, so you might have some luck at a local marine shop. Other wise I would recommend filling in the whole with some marine tex, and when it starts to harden up, you can shape/trim it flush with a utility blade. Then when it’s hard, drill and reinstall.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, a couple snaps for the canvas have pulled out of the fiberglass. The opening is too big to screw it back in so I put 3M 5200 on the snap and set it in the spot where the hole is. a day later and it's not holding in place, Is that too soon? or may I not have used the right product?

5200 can take a good couple of days to set & I don't think it's real good for a hole as small as a snap. Do as Strizzy says & fill the hole with something that will set hard & fast before re-installing.

Boat Joe

Cadet

Depending on the make of the boat the windshield assembly was most likely manufactured by Taylor Glass. If the boat is less than five years old you may be able to get an exact replacement for the gasket by contacting the boat manufacture getting the part number and ordering it from Taylor. If you want to seal it up I would recommend a good marine silicone. 4200 and 5200 is overkill for sealing up a small gap and tends to yellow when exposed to sun for a few years plus if you ever remove the windshield you will have a real mess. If you want a little more adhesion than just silicone, try something like Life Seal from Boat Life, which is a polyurethane and silicone mix.

As far as the snaps pulling out 5200 works OK but can take up to 7 days to cure unless using "fast cure" 5200 and that takes every bit of 24 hours to completely cure. If the hole is too big you’re going to have to fill it and re-drill. Before you do that you may want to try a snap with a larger stud. You may be using a snap with a #7 stud and a #10 stud would fill the hole and hold like new.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys. I'll look at those options for the windw seal. Also, I didn't know the snaps could be bought with larger studs. Should solve the problem just fine.

Thanks again. Off to West Marine again I guess. They're one of the fiew marine shops around here. I usually buy stuff online, but for one or two snaps I might as well buy at WM.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh, one more question. I see acetone here as a cleanup solution a lot. Does any of the oil-base cleaners work also, like paint thinner stuff? Or is acetone different?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have to use the right cleaner for the product you are using. the wrong cleaner can cause a chemical reaction and make a real mess. like tring to clean up oil base paint with water.