1990 Evinrude v6 150 hp ?winterizing with antifreeze?

boutimetoo

Recruit
I have read some of the other post regarding winterizing my outboard…. The other day I was in West Marine and a video instructing how to winterize playing. I noticed they were putting pink antifreeze into the outboard….

Question is this something new, for 4 stokes and/or are they just trying to sell product?

1st year w/ boat
Long island NY:/

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1990 Evinrude v6 150 hp ?winterizing with antifreeze?

Are you sure it was an outboard? I think maybe you saw them doing this on an outdrive for an I/O. They usually do that in order to get anitfreeze through the engine block up in the boat. There's no need to do this on an outboard as most of the water will drain right out while it's in an upright position.

If the video was on an outboard, then my guess would be it's just somebody trying to make a buck. No need for it.

I'm guessing this post will be moved to the General Discussion board also.

But anyway, welcome to iboats and to boating. LI is a great place to boat. Be sure to post back with any questions on that 150 Rude, people will be happy to answer. Good luck.

boutimetoo

Recruit

Yes it was an outboard.... they set a 5 gal. tank of pink antifreeze on the swim platform

Started the motor until the pink antifreeze came out… I was so intrigued I watch the video twice.

After i'm done catching some Striped Bass I’m going to winterize mine as per the manual…. Thanks for the reply and welcome…

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Just run treated fuel through it while on the ear muffs, then fog it. Change the lower unit oil, use new washers on the drain and vent plug, and leave it down all winter. And you'll be fine when Spring comes.

Good luck with the bass, I'll be in Montauk all weekend doing the same.