I think it's frozen :(

WhisperBlade

Cadet
Hello Forums:

I'm a complete new boat owner here, and I think I started my winterizing procedures too late. I live here in Vancouver, Canada, and it's about 0 - 5 Degrees celcius. (32 - maybe 40 degrees Farenheit).

I pulled the Drain Plug on my MerCruiser engine. A small amount of water came out. And then it stopped. Shouldn't there be a lot of water coming out? My boat is parked on a hill, with the front pointing down. (I'm talking about the Engine Block, the SeaWater System. Sorry my terms are not too up to par). Is it possible that the water inside the engine has frozen? I have only taken the boat out for 3 hours.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I think it's frozen :(

There is more than one drain plug, what size engine and which one did you pull? Also whenever you pull them you should get a stiff piece of wire or something long and skinny and ream out the hole because quite often crap will build up in there and clog the hole.

KaGee

Admiral

Try jacking the tongue of the trailer up to level it out.

Proper winterizing involves more than draining the water. You should read the pinned post at the top of this forum.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Boatin said:
There is more than one drain plug, what size engine and which one did you pull? Also whenever you pull them you should get a stiff piece of wire or something long and skinny and ream out the hole because quite often crap will build up in there and clog the hole.

Ditto to that BB. I lost an engine and two mani's in the early '90's for failure to do that. I just opened up the petcocks, walked away and never looked back.

Come spring start up, I had a fountain of chocolate milk roaring out of my oil fill cover.

WhisperBlade

Cadet

Well. The engine is a 5.0 MPI (That's what it says on the cover, I think). There is only 1 drain plug (Single Point), and I've tilted the trailer as high as it can go. I will be hauling the entire boat to the local service center to have my winterization done. But in the mean time, I'm concerned that trapped water in the engine might expand and crack the engine pipes.

Does what I have described sound like trapped forzen water? And should I keep the drain plug off after the water has drained? Or stick it back in? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your owners manual should explain how to use the single point drain. When you post here you could at least say it's a Mercruiser 5.0MPI, with single point drain, and include if you have an Alpha or Bravo drive raw water or closed cooling system etc. A year in some cases works, but not all. A serial number would really help in figuring out what you have.
I know a single point drain system is a Mercruiser, but everyone doesn't. Also, is that single point drain air actuated or manual?

WhisperBlade

Cadet

Raw Water cooling.
2006 Bayliner 205, Mercruiser 5.0MPI
Single Point Drain, Manual (It has no pump. I'm assuming it is Manual).
Alpha Drive (That's my guess. The 2004 Had an Alpha I Drive)

I'm sorry for the confusion. Like I said, I am a new boater and am not up to par on my terminology.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If it's a brand new boat, you better have a mercruiser owners manual and it does explain how to drain it.
Now, my point of view on the single point drain.
As long as there is no possiblility of dirt, mud, rust, or corrosion possibly getting into your engine, then that single point drain is a good thing and will work forever. Unfortunatly here in the real world, I see it costing people a lot of freeze damaged engines. When just using plugs it was always recommended to remove the plug and clean the hole with a piece of wire. And there is always stuff in them.
If I bought a boat with a single point drain, the first thing I would do is remove it and go to plug so I can see what was actually drained.
Already you have very little water coming out when you should have a lot. Why ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Lot's of great advice here. If you can move the boat around so that the tongue points upwards it would be ideal.

Also, although not an engine drain, remember to pull your boat drain plug at the back too or your engine will find itself under water fast with those rains you get so much of. (Another great reason to have the nose slightly upwards.)

Bondo

Staff member

WhisperBlade said:
Does what I have described sound like trapped forzen water?
Nope,..........

It Sounds like there's some Crud Blocking the Drains,........

Water Doesn't Freeze til 32*,........
So, Anything above 0* Celsius it's Still Water,+ Not Ice.......

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Take the boat in to the pros since you are new to the game and do it before it actually does freeze. It will cost you thousands if the block freezes and cracks. You don't mention how mechanically inclined you are and if you are even prepared/equipped to conduct maintenance on a marine engine. I'm fairly good with a wrench for minor maintenance, but, when you're talking about something (the engine) that makes up half the cost of your boat, it is wise to have it done by a certified tech. Maybe you can ask the tech if you could watch so you have at least an idea of what is accomplished during a proper winterization, especially in your neck of the woods. It doesn't make sense, you have a new boat with 3 hours on it and already it's in jeopardy of serious damage. But, then again maybe you have the money to waste on a new engine. Also, find another place to store your boat besides on a hill with the nose pointing down. Rainwater and snowmelt will pool in the bow. Then you'll have more problems, especially if the fiberglass starts to absorb the water.

Happy boating :/