power pack?

rareheir5

Cadet
I had no spark on my 79 15 johnson lower plug so I replaced both coils. Still have the same problem should I look at replacing the power pack? Compression upper 125 lower 120. Lot of unburned gas @ the prop.
Thanks for your time and knowledge.
David

Re: power pack?

I had the same issue, so I replaced the power pack which got it working. However, I lost spark on the same cylinder a few weeks ago and then got it back (by letting it sit for a few hours). You may have an electrical problem beyond just replacing the power pack.

I'd test things before replacing them.

rareheir5

Cadet

Thanks for the input. Here is where I am now.
The new power pack along with the coils I got the motor to start.Ran then just stopped like running out of gas.Pulled the gas line to the fuel pump and sqeezed the bulb and gas came flowing.Pulled the out line on the fuel pump and when I pump,gas comes out but when I pull the motor over it spurts once and as I continue pulling the starter it doesn't spurt?
Bad fuel pump?
Thanks for all your time and help.
David

DHPMARINE

Captain

You really need a spark tester,as both cylinders should have a good 7/16 inch spark.You need to know this for a fact,No guessing.

As to the fuel pump,if you squeeze the primer bulb,it should fill the carb.This gas in the carb should let the motor run a few minutes.Squeezing it again should do the same.That might indicate a poor fuel pump.

I don't have answers to your problem,but I hope to be guiding you towards the solution.

Good Luck,

DHP

rareheir5

Cadet

update 11-4-06
I picked up a clear line ,ran it from the fuel pump to the carb. Fired up the motor and as long as I steadily pumped the bulb, the motor ran like a brand new (sounded like a kawasaki motor cycle).As soon as I stopped pumping, the motor ran for about 30 sec.and died, so I am asuming it needs a fuel pump.I also found a great place to by parts.
Check it out http://www.saveonboating.com/default.asp
Doug has been my contact and he has been great.
David

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since iBoats is so gracious about hosting this forum, why not give them a try for your parts?

rareheir5

Cadet

I am happy to give anyone props, and I did check out iboats.
Bottom line I found what I needed at a lower price. I don't know about you but If the price is right and the service is right, why not share what might help someone out that might need to save a little money.
I am very thankful for this site and when the time comes I am sure I can us all that iboats has to offer.
Thanks to all that did have helpful ideas in reguards to my motor problems.

Dude

Seaman Apprentice

If the problem is the power pack how does a novice check for a bad power pack/stator. My Seloc manual doesn't give specs on either of these two units. 15hp Johnson 1985. Thanks

rareheir5

Cadet

Dude,
I learn things by asking questions. I do not know how to check the power pack. I was told it my be the problem with only one cyl firing by a local outboard repair shop after I replaced the coils thinking that was the problem. Trial and error and by the great info that people share unselfishly on this board, I am learning how to fix or try to fix.
good luck, if you find out please let me know.

To check your powerpack, you will need to consult a shop/repair manual for your motor. It will tell you all of the tools and steps required. It will only cost you $20-$25 but will save you tons of money in the future.