Newbe to the boating world

Greywolf58

Cadet
Just aquired a 1987 Bayliner Capri 1700CR with a Force 85 outboard motor. (85 hp) Before I got the boat I went out on the lake this past somer about five or six times, pulled my daughters on a tube, boat handled well and was able to pull two teenagers and three others in the boat. Seems to need some TLC, which I will provide. I've read up on some of the winterizing tips I found here in other threads, I will be sure to follow. Any other tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Some of the things I'm looking at doing over the winter is installing a new throtle cable and basiclly giving the entire boat a real good cleaning.

Comments welcome

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Newbe to the boating world

Well, Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. What part of NC are you in? I'm from the western part....
I was new here a few months ago and I'll tell you it will blow your mind what you can learn on here.

Greywolf58

Cadet

From Kings Mountain, 36 miles west of Charlotte.

Thanks for the welcome. You are so right about this place blowing my mind. There is just so much info here that I'm sure to learn from.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

welcome, my first suggestion is to the the manual for your engine. this way you can educate yourself, about your particular engine. the force is a rather simple engine. proper maintainance is the difference between a great outing or a bust.

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to Boat ownership (open wallet now) and welcome to IBoats. I'm still green here, but it's a fun place and a tremendous knowledge base.
Them kids love them tubes, Makes it all worthwhile.

normal_Fun%20On%20The%20Water.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Greywolf.

You'll find lots to do while doing a thorough cleaning. Pay special attention to ALL of the hardware, electrical connectors etc. Murphy's Law of Boating: Anything that could possibly ever come loose, will . . . ;)

Hey I might make that a new sig . . . 8)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Love the photo Rondi. Makes it all worth while doesn't it. I will never forget the first time mine stood up on ski's

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Murphy's Law of Boating: Anything that could possibly ever come loose, will . . .

QC - my favorite corollaries to Murphy's law as applied to boating are:

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw

and

The probability of screwing up on a job is inversely proportional to the amount of work left to be done
:p

Greywolf58

Cadet

Everyone,
Thanks for the great welcome!

I did today what I set out to do and that was to give this boat a general cleaning. Started on the inside of the boat, pulled out all the cushions (which I will need to have reapolstered) vacuumed every nook and crany. Found many little things that just need to be tighted down or replaced. Started my Repair / shopping list to get this boat ready for the spring. First two things on my list are a battery and a boat cover. Need the battery so I can start checking all the electronics and a boat cover to keep her protected from the elements when I'm not working on her. Looks like I have my hobby for the winter months. I look forward to go to several forums to retreive vital information and absorb all the boating knowledge that I can.

Again thanks for the great welcome!

Greywolf58

Cadet

How difficult is it to reapolster the cushions and seats? Need any special sewing technics or machines? As I was looking at my cushions today it looked like all I needed to do was to remove the old vinyl, use it as a pattern cut the new vinyl and staple back on. The only thing I wont have would be the thick seams that are on top of the cushions. Or is there a secret to making those?

it may be worth having the seats done professionally. You may as well replace the cushions if you are taking off the vinyl. You would basically have a new seat.

We have a place in st. louis that's pretty good at restoring seats cushions etc.

ray estep

Seaman

Greywolf58 said:
How difficult is it to reapolster the cushions and seats? Need any special sewing technics or machines? As I was looking at my cushions today it looked like all I needed to do was to remove the old vinyl, use it as a pattern cut the new vinyl and staple back on. The only thing I wont have would be the thick seams that are on top of the cushions. Or is there a secret to making those?

I prefer tacks and a hammer. alot less likely to pull out, and seems to get a better hold on the vinyl.

Ozarks R&R

ray estep

Seaman

rondi said:
Welcome to Boat ownership (open wallet now) and welcome to IBoats. I'm still green here, but it's a fun place and a tremendous knowledge base.
Them kids love them tubes, Makes it all worthwhile.

normal_Fun%20On%20The%20Water.jpg

Can you immagine life without kids They make it all worth having to put up with being an adult. great picture. Thanks

Ozarks R&R

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've recover seat the way you are speaking, many times. also you can look at ebay - boat seats. they have to back to back seats, very reasonable

Greywolf58

Cadet

Thanks, I'll check out ebay.

Started to check out all the lights on my boat today and found that the wiring is all good, just had to replace a few switches. And I also rewired my trailer lights, now I can see in the dark. d:)

I noticed my spedometer cable/tube was disconnected from the motor end, Ill have to find out where that goes.