Sedan too small???

ferrellb

Seaman Apprentice
I am considering cars to tow my new jetboat. I have a 2000 Sugar Sand Tango. It is 17 feet and weighs 1300 pounds empty. I really have no need for a truck or SUV. I do for safety want at least AWD or 4WD. I will primarily be pulling the boat less than 5 miles and never more than 25 miles.

A Subaru Legacy Sedan AWD (around a 2001 model) is rated as a 2000 pound towing capacity. Technically that is fine but I don’t want something that destroys the car or boat. I also struggle to think a 2.5L 4 cylinder is ample; but again the towing capacity. What opinions do you have? Anyone have any experience?

I am not particularly vain so stares at the ramp do not concern me. I do not, again, want an issue of failure and hurt either vehicle. Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sedan too small???

Although intentions are good (5 miles typically and never more than 25 miles) there will come a time when a road trip is in your plans. And that will happen with more regularity than you think. So with that stashed in the back of your mind, a 1300 pound empty boat becomes heavy very quickly when one adds fuel and all the other stuff one drags along. So before you know it, the load is at or near the Surbaru's tow limit. That begins to stress suspension, brakes, engine and drive line. Will things break? Who knows -- you may get lucky. But if you stay within your 25 mile limit, you will probably be ok.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Local and gentle you should be O.K. Beyond that and as stated with all the essential equipment we carry with us then you could be putting extra stress and strain on your vehicle. Having said that I used to tow all kinds of things with a 1.3 litre nissan in England. (14ft house trailer, 14ft ski boat with 60 hp on the back, utility trailers overloaded with junk going to the dump etc) with no adverse effects other than needing a new clutch about 10,000 miles earlier than the usual mileage. With an automatic transmission could be a different story though. I now tow a 16.5 ft Doral with a 140 hp Johnson all over the place with a 99 Ford Windstar. Doing the job just great so far.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my tow vehicle is now a Mercury Mariner (ford escape) 2.3 L duratex (4cyl) FWD automatic. it has proven to be a great vehicle now with 25,000 miles. probably 5,000 towing, 1500 - 1800 lbs, we live in Jacksonville, FL, have towed to Charlotte, NC, and Key West, and all over Fl & Ga. the trailer has hydrolic brakes. the only draw back is in the mountains, i wished i had the 6 cyl. you living in a snow area would recommend 4wd. i have towed a 3000 # boat with this vehicle, and it did fine also. i think having the 15 inch wheels is a big advantage. and has great ground clearance to get into the tough places.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/tashasdaddy/MVC-845S-1.jpg

i don't recommend this, it really didn't like the 4200 lbs
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/tashasdaddy/MVC-849S.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I believe the law states that trailer brakes are not required in Va, for trailers under 3000#.

BUT, if you have brakes installed on your trailer, you will have a much better time of controlling the load with a smaller tow vehicle.

With brakes on the trailer, you should be fine with most smaller tow vehicles.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only problem i see is pulling out of launch slip. Getting in is easy getting out is a little tougher. This is where you need all the torque you can get. Definately AWD or 4WD. As for braking you will probably have to look far ahead of you to anticipate what will be happening so you can be prepared to stop.

Autotech1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive been working in Subaru dearlership for most of a year now and ive installed a few hitches. Alll the ones ive seen use the small receiver, like an inch and a half maybe. Small anyways. regardless of the vehicles capacity see whats available for hitches, THEY may not be up to the capacity you need. And get the sixer as that boat is essentially heaver pulling an incline, you want a good margin there.