How to test a stator

jujubean

Cadet
I'm not sure if I have the tools to test this, so please explain what tools are called that I would need to test it.

Its a 1995 mercury 25 horse motor, you can read the post below by JUJUBEAN to learn more baout my boat. I really appreciate the help guys.

P.S. The water was absolutely perfect when I went the other day and my motor would not start. So, I fished with my trolling motor around the bank and caught a three pounder, a 2 pounder and two small ones before going home so . . . at least I got something.

jujubean

Cadet
Re: How to test a stator

and by the way, could it also be the trigger? Are the trigger and stator each capable of screwing up and causing the engine to recieve no fire? becasue the trigger is a hell of a lot cheaper than the stator . . . and you know how that goes.
Thanks.

ricksrster

Commander

You can check tthe resistance at the stator leads as follows:Disconnect the blue, red, and black wires from the switch box. Blue wire to black wire = 3200 - 3800 Ohms. Red wire to black wire = 225 - 300 Ohs. If if have a DVA multi-meter you can check the peak voltages of the stator. Blue to black = 180+ v. Red to black = 20+ v.

jujubean

Cadet

is that with the motor jsut sitting? Should it be hooked to a battery or anything or do I just start testing? Also, are you talking about the bracket wires that plug into the switchbox or the two wires that are cuopled into the switchbox?

And I guess I need a volt tester to do this?

ricksrster

Commander

The red and blue.wires run from the stator to the switch box. Check the resistance with no power on the circuit. Check voltages with the motor cranking.

ricksrster

Commander

Any multimeter will work to check the resistance. To check the DVA voltage, you will need a DVA adapter for the multimeter or a multimeter with a DVA buiilt in.

Laddies

Banned

juju, as you have probably figured out by now the trigger is a single winding and yes it could also be the problem, it could effect both cyls so I was wrong on your earlier post the trigger should test 750 t0 1400 OHMs brn/yellow to brn/white. Sorry if is confused you with the first post--Bob

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

You might want to disconnect the kill switch first and check for spark.