Your TSA at work.

PW2

Commander
My daughter just had to fly from Seattle to Boston for her work. She is blind, and carries and uses a cane that has metal parts.

She used to be able to fold the cane and put it on the X-Ray conveyor, and get someone to help guide her thru the metal detector. No more, apparently. She has to go thru the metal detector with her cane. It, of course, sets off the alarm. She is detained for almost 30 minutes, while she has to go thru a complete pat down.

Meanwhile, while she waited to get this process over, she forgot she had a bottle of hand lotion and shampoo, as well as a bottle of water. There was so much commotion over her cane, they somehow ignored her liquids and let her board the plane.

Whew, I feel safer already!

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Your TSA at work.

Pardon my ignorance here…but if your daughter is blind how does she know her bottles of liquids were over looked?

I have done a considerable mount of air travel over the last 7 months. There is a diff in security by global geographic regions. And a diff in security for flts originating in or terminating in the USA. My overall feeling is that the US airport security is a huge show, a warm fuzzy for tax payers with little actual security involved. I think much, much more security is done behind the scenes, i.e. intelligence, watch lists, etc. I think there haven’t been any further incidents with aircraft in the US because the behind-the-scenes security efforts really are working.

Fwiw, it is extremely easy to bring down an aircraft with nothing more than a book of matches. Matches in unlimited quantities are allowed onboard.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

My wife's assistance dog always causes quite a stir.
This TSA monkey was wanding the dog.... I asked him if he wanted me to lift the tail so he could check underneath... everyone laughed but him....

18rabbit

Captain

My bigger concern is that any airliner over 20-years old has electrical shorts somewhere in its wiring. There is no way to rewire an airliner. A German company is working on a connector that will analyze a wiring harness’s performance in real-time, detect an electrical short and re-route that circuit to use a diff conductor in the harness. That connector is being developed specifically for aging airliners.

ZmOz

Captain

A few months ago someone "accidently" got on a plane at PDX and flew to Arizona with a 9mm in his carry on bag. They only found it when he tried to get on another flight. I can't get through the same airport without taking my shoes off and getting hassled over my digital camera. Why do we even bother?
rolleyes.gif

Somehow my mom ended up on the "no fly list". Thank god we're keeping an eye on old white women...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My cousin is a regional supervisor for the tsa.
Just knowing that she was on board from the beginning, and was responsible for training the other trainers all over the country, has got me scared to fly.

D

DJ

TSA is surely a joke.

We all forget who is doing this to us. It is not the Fed. government!

It is Muslim extremists. Direct your complaints there.

waterinthefuel

Commander

My tainted background will not easily allow me to fly on an airliner, however it doesn't stop me from working at the airport and fueling the same airliners, sometimes completely alone, at night, with nobody watching me.

Weird stuff.