'69 Merc 200 20HP lower unit lube prob

Drindin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I changed the gear lube in the lower unit it acted as though it didn't want to take the lube. I was never able to get an "overflow" through the vent hole. The pump I was using would inject the lube but the engine kept trying to force it back out. I got 6 oz in there but, again, never did overflow, even after trying to put in too much. I think I waisted more than I needed to do the whole job twice! What could be going on? Does it appear that I WILL have to disassemble the lower unit?

Drindin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: '69 Merc 200 20HP lower unit lube prob

Drindin said:
When I changed the gear lube in the lower unit it acted as though it didn't want to take the lube. I was never able to get an "overflow" through the vent hole. The pump I was using would inject the lube but the engine kept trying to force it back out. I got 6 oz in there but, again, never did overflow, even after trying to put in too much. I think I waisted more than I needed to do the whole job twice! What could be going on? Does it appear that I WILL have to disassemble the lower unit?

Drindin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Plus, I am sure that I have used the right screw holes (vent & fill), according to the manual. Only 2 screws in those areas.

Drindin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I figured it out. Thanks anyway.