Morse/Teleflex rotary steering system - wrong way

91cajun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just had my pontoon boat re-decked and re-carpeted. When the shop reinstalled the console the steering is opposite of what it's suppose to be. I believe it is a morse rotary steering system. There is a red cable going in one side and a whiteish clear cable on the other. Does anyone know how to undo it to rotate 180 degrees so it will be correct? I hate to drag it all the way back to the place that did the work if I can avoid it? Any links to diagrams or knowledge of which screws to remove would be greatly appreciated.

The boat is a 91 Tracker 24' party barge if that helps any.

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Morse/Teleflex rotary steering system - wrong way

Bring it back to have it fixed!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

they installed the cables backwards. I would bring it back, or make arangements for them to come out to fix it.

If you want to fix it yourself, go to the teleflex website and find the diagrams for your model steering and it should be fairly simple.

dhatcher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah i would makt them come to your place and fix it, i dont know how big your town is, but were i live Word of mouth can make or break you, and something like this if they were crediable they would come out and fix it no questions asked

91cajun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is about 5 million people here in the DFW area. Not sure that word of mouth would matter much. They did a great job on everything except this minor screw up. I'd have to take off work and drag the boat about 30 miles 1 way to their shop and then probably get in the queue again to have the fix done. I'm going to call them this AM and see what my options are. There is no doubt in my mind that they will be happy to fix it. They are reputable but, the hassle of hooking it up and dragging it across town is what I'm trying to avoid. It can't be that hard to correct. I've just never done it before and I can't seem to find any instructions. The Teleflex site is not that helpful. Unless someone has a link that I didn't find.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All you need to do is swap where the cable goes into the housing. Unscrew the nut that holds the cable to the housing and turn the wheel until all the cable comes out. Remove the clear plastic tube and put the cable in and turn the wheel to pull the cable into the housing until you can screw the nut back on. Put the clear tube where the cable was connected.

strizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah you just have to switch the "in and the out". I dont think its anything to bad mouth a place about... everyone makes mistakes... If you want them to fix it, theres no reason why if you call and then bring it to them, that it would not get worked on right away. If you paid and its not right, you should go to the front of the line, thats how it is at our shop...

91cajun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I called them this AM. They offered to come out and fix it at my location. I'm going to attempt to do it myself since it appears to be pretty simple after reading the previous 2 replies along with what the shop foreman told me. If I can't get it myself they said they'd be happy to take care of it for me just to let them know. They also apologized for the inconvenience. It's an honest mistake and I purposely did not post their name because overall they did an excellent job. This was just one little annoying thing. Apparently this was the techs first time for this type of steering mechanism.

I found the problem on the weekend when they were closed and was looking for help from this forum that is why I posted originally. Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to give it a shot this evening.

dhatcher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hell post there name now, any company thats willing to do that for there customers is ok in my book. I didnt want to sound like a hard a** but man i have been burnt to many times about things i didnt know aobut, and getting taken advantage of just really makes me mad, so i do overreact a bit when it deal with these things, thank god my wife keeps me in check. I might wear the pants in the family, but she picks them out in the morning lol