power tilt problems

degoude

Cadet
I have a 135 Mercury. he power tilt motor is running but the motor will not move. It began acting sluggish and making a whining sound when raising the motor. Now it will not move up or down. Any suggestions?

Laddies

Banned
Re: power tilt problems

That sounds like it needs oil have you cked it lately

degoude

Cadet

Checked the oil when it became sluggish. It was low, so I added oil. Now it is stuck in the up position and will not move down. The tilt motor still runs.

Laddies

Banned

It has to be full when the engine is tilted up,there is a knured knob on the bottom of the pump to release the tilt, out is released and in is engaged. If the pump is full and the cyls. blead and it still won't go up and down properlly you are going to have to pressure test the pump

degoude

Cadet

It looks like I have a leak in the top seal of the main cylinder. How do I check the pressure? I assume I need to have the seal fixed. Thanks for your advice Laddies.

Laddies

Banned

degoude, I screwed up and was thinking you engine was a inline 135. So let me start over a V/6 has a manual release but it's on the starboard side of the engine mounting bracket, you will find a hole about 3/4" in dia. the release screw is in that hole it is a slotted screw. It is very common for the center o-ring on the release to blow causing the system to act up to get the release screw out you must remove the E clip that keeps it from falling out, use a small screwdriver go thru the hole and pop it off, then the release screw can be removed thru the hole and he o-rings inspected or replaced. In most cases the E clip won't go back on so in the future you must be carefull not to unscrew the release to far. Sorry about the mixup to start with--Bob

degoude

Cadet

Thanks Laddies. I'll see whaty I can do with this info.

degoude

Cadet

Laddies, I removed the release screw and changed the o-rings. The tilt went up and down twice, then it stuck in the up positin. I have oil leaking from the top of the large cylinder. I filled it with oil again and it still wouldn't work. I loosened the release screw and oil began to come out of the large cylinder until I tightened the screw. Any suggestions? Thanks!