what to do with disassembled motor???

rrushing

Cadet
I have a 70's Mercury 1150 Thunderbolt in-line six motor that I disassembled as a learning tool. The reason for the motor being out of use was due to corrosion of some of the wiring near and around the external wiring harness. I was going to initially just try to replace the wiring harness and use the motor, but I decided while I had it down, I would check out some other parts. My dad and I disassembled it and found all the parts to be in great shape! The cylinders aren't scored at all and all pistons, crank, etc. are in great condition! My problem is that I now don't have the expertise, time or money to invest in reassembling this outboard. I hate to just scrap it because it is in great shape and I know from reading these forums that there are some guys on here that could get this thing back together and it would be beautiful. Also, the exterior cowling and everything is in great condition!!! I don't want it to just rot in my garage. What should I do? Thanks-
Ruth

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: what to do with disassembled motor???

Or just contact me - and be done with it.

I'm in Fair Play SC and I'd be glad to take it off your hands.

-Wayne

alana

Seaman

if you took it apart to learn about motors why not get a manual and rebuild it, then you will have completed the lesson

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ruth...another suggestion:

Give it to Wayne with the agreement that you can come by and help him re-assemble it. If I were you I would jump at a chance like that! Assuming Wayne would be argreeable...it would be a fantastic learning experience for you...and an opportunity to save that old 1150. Lesson completed!

Thanks for reading, Chuck

rrushing

Cadet

Thanks to everyone for your ideas. I'm considering your suggestions and I do appreciate your input. It is a really pretty motor and deserves better than being apart in my garage!

rrushing

Cadet

[whisper uid=60
chuck-
great suggestion. i may just ask him about this.
thanks!
ruth

[/whisper]

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

IMO of I lived that close to Clams ...... I would be on the road! No question about it.

Bob