'85 Nisson 15 HP

StmGod

Cadet
I have a 1985 15 HP Nisson long shaft and would like to make it into a short shaft, I think. The reason I think it should be a short shaft is when I run the boat with only myself in it, the bow lifts up too high. In fact I have trouble seeing because the bow is so high. Where can I get information about converting the long shaft to a short shaft. I think that the water pump (impeller) should also be changed and imagine that it would be included in the conversion kit. Also I have a problem with the carburator or fuel pump. The motor starts and runs great at low speed or high speed but won't run at intermediate speeds. The carburator was made by TK carburator Co. Ltd. I bought the motor used and I'm just getting into boating. I can't find anyone in the area that deals with Nisson outboards, I'm in the Naples/Ft. Myers, FL area. Thanks for any help on this.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: '85 Nisson 15 HP

Do you know it is a long shaft or do you suspect it is?
Where is the anti ventilation plate in relation to the bottom of the boat.How tall is the transom on the boat?
I think The best place to find out about shortening it
would be the dealer.I think NIsson and Tohatsu are the same. If you don't have a dealer close by you may want to think about the parts supply.NAPA marine products catalog lists one page of parts.Iboats is similar.
Even Chrysler which hasen't been Chrysler since 84 has several pages of parts in the catalog.Evinrude/Johnson has 60 pages and covers motors back to the early 50s.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Just realized there is a Nisson forum right here.You may get more help there.

StmGod

Cadet

steelespike said:

Your right Spike, I saw it just after I posted here.

StmGod

Cadet

StmGod said:
steelespike said:

Your right Spike, I saw it just after I posted here.

Ok, I measured the transom it is 15", if I drop down to the first plate on the shaft it's 18", then there is another plate above the prop that's 4" below the first plate. Overall the end of the shaft is 34" below the transom. It is a long shaft, isn't it?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It sure sounds like a long shaft but the demension seems long at 22 inches.
From the part of the clamp that rests on the transom to the plate just above the prop should be 20 inches if it is a long shaft.Short shaft would be 15 inches.It may vary a fraction from that.
If it is extra long maybe it is some sort of special auxillary motor for a sail boat or something.
Older evinrudes had a 5 inch section you could add or remove and long or short drive shaft etc. making it easier a cheaper to change the length.If the Nisson doesn't have that provision it may be more difficult and expensive to convert.
If you are handy you could give some thought to building up the transom and I think some have added a jack plate to raise the motor too.

StmGod

Cadet

steelespike said:
It sure sounds like a long shaft but the demension seems long at 22 inches.
From the part of the clamp that rests on the transom to the plate just above the prop should be 20 inches if it is a long shaft.Short shaft would be 15 inches.It may vary a fraction from that.
If it is extra long maybe it is some sort of special auxillary motor for a sail boat or something.
Older evinrudes had a 5 inch section you could add or remove and long or short drive shaft etc. making it easier a cheaper to change the length.If the Nisson doesn't have that provision it may be more difficult and expensive to convert.
If you are handy you could give some thought to building up the transom and I think some have added a jack plate to raise the motor too.

Thanks for your input Spike, I just measured the distance to the top of the prop and it's 23" + so maybe that's why the front of the boat pushes up so much when I'm in the boat alone. I was looking around for another boat & motor, I found a like new 3 yr old Carolina Skiff J16 with a Yamaha 25HP 4 stroke, elect start, tiller for $3500 it also included a galvanized trailer. The whole rig was purchased at the same time, about 3 years ago and the bottom of the boat was coated to prevent build up and dirty appearance. I have reservations about it though because it is kept docked at the persons house in salt water, that tells me that the motor wasn't being flushed out and could be a lot of problems down the road. They also said that they had lost the reverse but had that repaired. Thanks again