Verado 150xl 05-06 supercharged "oil pressure low"..beeps

sheldoon

Cadet
Hi all, very informative site....i have already learned alot...dont see much on the Verado..so i will post this as well as a reply to "my motor is making oil"...sorry for the dupe ...
not many hours on it i would guess 20 - 40 hours max its probably even less..any way approx a month ago the trim stopped working so we brought it in to be fixed and West Marine stated they fixed it...hydrolic fluid or a bubble or new cylinder not sure...anyway we got it back 2 weeks ago and i noticed it was dripping a little oil-ish, black-ish gas smelling fluid from a little hole (the dealer stated that it was residual).....from the overflow hole i guess..(btw i have been reading alot of related topics in this forum)...so recently beeps have been happening and this past weekend the "oil pressure low" came on and the beeps lasted longer, the motor sounds a little louder, but the gauge reads "temp ok", "oil psi ok",and whatever the third reading is i dont remember off hand that is ok as well.......... there is the occasional stall as well, this happens when it beeps... very rare... In addition the trim stopped working again it does not lift the engine but it does drop the engine..i do notice if i put it in reverse slowly and use the tilt up it works......
...any thoughts anyone ? any comment would be greatly appreciated
Rich

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Verado 150xl 05-06 supercharged

In one instance you say there is an "oil pressure low" indication and then you say the gauge reads "temp ok" and "oil psi ok". Anytime the oil pressure is low you need to stop the engine immediately. With no oil pressure the engine is not being lubricated and serious engine damage can occur in a very short time. Oil pressure and oil level are two very different indications. This boat should not leave the dock until the oil pressure and noise, and stalling problems are resolved.

sheldoon

Cadet

Silvertip said:
In one instance you say there is an "oil pressure low" indication and then you say the gauge reads "temp ok" and "oil psi ok". Anytime the oil pressure is low you need to stop the engine immediately. With no oil pressure the engine is not being lubricated and serious engine damage can occur in a very short time. Oil pressure and oil level are two very different indications. This boat should not leave the dock until the oil pressure and noise, and stalling problems are resolved.

sheldoon

Cadet

thx for getting back silvertip..i appreciate the advice

gss036

Commander

That is a big investment to play around with on something that serious, I agree 100% with the above post, get it fixed. I would assume it is still under warranty.

sheldoon

Cadet

sheldoon said:
Silvertip said:

sheldoon

Cadet

Hi again Silvertip...the reason i stated ("In one instance you say there is an "oil pressure low" indication and then you say the gauge reads "temp ok" and "oil psi ok".")..is b/c when the beeps happened this past weekend the gauge had an alert that read "oil pressure low"...then when i turned the engine off and back on that alert went away & the beeping stopped .... I am not sure if you are familiar with the gauges on a new Whaler 190 outrage w/merc verado 150 or if they are fairly universal or what but when the boat is running there are different readings i can access one of them is "Oil PSI" "Temp" and one more i cannot remember...so when i restarted the engine these readings all read "ok".. hope that clears things up a little...anyway thank you again !
Rich

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I understand that. But the fact you have experienced a low oil pressure indication means something was wrong at that time. It doesn't matter that the gauge now reads OK. You need to have the engine checked to make sure oil pressure is indeed ok and that the problem you experienced was an electrical system glitch. Low/no oil pressure is nothing to fool with. Low oil "level" can cause a no oil pressure or low oil pressure indication. However, even if the oil "level" is proper, a problem in the engine can result in a low or no "oil pressure" reading. Pressure is what forces oil through the lubrication system. Level is simply the amount of oil in the crankcase.

sheldoon

Cadet

Silvertip said:
I understand that. But the fact you have experienced a low oil pressure indication means something was wrong at that time. It doesn't matter that the gauge now reads OK. You need to have the engine checked to make sure oil pressure is indeed ok and that the problem you experienced was an electrical system glitch. Low/no oil pressure is nothing to fool with. Low oil "level" can cause a no oil pressure or low oil pressure indication. However, even if the oil "level" is proper, a problem in the engine can result in a low or no "oil pressure" reading. Pressure is what forces oil through the lubrication system. Level is simply the amount of oil in the crankcase.

sheldoon

Cadet

thx again Silvertip,,,, we are having it looked at today...i would never take a chance as you have stated...it just makes me crazy b/c its a new engine..and its prime fishing time as we speak....bunker everywhere....etc etc.....thx i will let u know what happened
Rich

massey01

Recruit
Re: Verado 150xl 05-06 supercharged "oil pressure low"..beeps

Re: Verado 150xl 05-06 supercharged "oil pressure low"..beeps

I have had low oil pressure problems as well and my motor has cut off on a 200 verado. When I checked my oil the crank case was filled with gas. The first time the dealer told me I had a collapsed line from ethenal in the gas and it was creating a vacuum pulling gas over. They replaced the line and on the third trip out the motor did the same thing. This time they are telling me that the motor has not been broken in. It has 50 hours on it. The dealer and mercury are telling me to run it with a thicker oil at 4,000 rpms for 4 hours and the motor should be broken in. I feel like I am getting the run-around and that know one knows the problem. Has any one had similiar issues?