Cover Evinrude Powerglide Shifter - Put Back On?

Greycup180

Cadet
Yikes, after removing the cover on my 76-70 hp Evinrude Powerglide shifter box (had to tighten the box to the side) I can't get the cover back on!

I thougt I did have it on, but I couldn't shift into forward or reverse, or even move the cold start lever up.

I don't remember how the throttle cable fits on to the cover. Does the black cyinder shape (about 1/2 inch in length) on the throttle linkage fit into a raised opening type of hole on the inside of the cover plate, or does just the cable need to slide through this raised circular portion on the inside cover?

When I thought the cover was back on properly, I couldn't shift becase the black 1/2 inch long cylinder on the throttle cable could not move pass that raised circular form on the cover. My thinking now is that the 1/2 inch black cylinder (what's the proper name for this) must fit very snugly into that raised form on the inside of the cover. But I cannot seem to get it into there. Plus when I took the cover off, a 1" long narrow type of gasket seem to have come off from somewhere, but I don't know where?

Maybe a diagram could help me?

Thanks.