Blue smoke on start.

danno1

Cadet
Hi everyone. My 88 200 evinrude always smokes blue after start up. When running it seems fine. I`ll shut it down ,and after running, it stills smokes when started. Could this be the VRO ? If not, what would cause it just on start up ?
Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Blue smoke on start.

Recirculation check valves could be blocked or allowing flow in both directions. Also you could be running cold.

D

DJ

I'm not sure you have an issue. Just residual unburned fuel in the cylinders and block.

Water shows up as white smoke.

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

2 strokes with carbs smoke at start up.
i have not seen any that didn't.
After running a bit it will diminish but still smoke.
If you look like you are fogging for mosquitos there may be an issue but signifigant smoke on a cold startup is pretty much normal.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I think you are a candidate for a decarb my man.... :love:

Decarb can and will eliminate that smoke you are talking about. It also has done it on my 50 year old diesel farm tractors. Believe an original nonbeliever......it works. d:)

Mark

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am assuming you are using TWC3 rated outboard 2 stroke oil and not anything else?
anything else would most defineately smoke alot and will not work properly.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Not sure I share your enthusiasm Kevin.

Mark

clint

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Blue smoke on start.

Sounds like a little more oil flowing than needed. Also you may be running engine without letting it fully warm up? Doesnt sound like any thing major going on. Decarb is a great idea also. Good Luck!
Clint 8)

danno1

Cadet

Actually, it does it starting cold AND hot. I tried switching over to Pensoil full syn. with negative results. I haven`t tried the Seafoam treatment yet.
Its always at startup, even after running 20 minutes. Shut it down, then re-start. It does the same thing.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well do the seafoam then go back to your pennzoil syn. I did it to mine and the only way I know it's using oil is by seeing it disappear from the tank.

Sounds like you are really crudded up so you may want to do the decarb thing twice......then keep it in the tank per can's instructions.

Mark

danno1

Cadet

Will do. Thanks Mark. I know its using oil, because I have filled the oil tank 3 times, this summer with synthetic.Does it matter if I wait till spring, or do it when I winterize it with the carb treatment ?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I know for a fact BTDT that syn burns cleaner than pet oil. Knowing that, if I got her all cleaned up with the decarb thing, I'd surely want to keep it clean.

But it probably won't make any difference if you are just going to run it a few times on pet oil.

Mark