Round 1, Floor/ Stringer removal OMG!

wayno

Seaman Apprentice
Wow 6 hours later and im just getting started. As stated here many people think there boat is structually sound and may just have a soft spot. My soft spot turned into a rotten string that ran almost the entire length of the boat. As well as saturated foam which i didnt even think i had. THe foam kept the integrity of the floor so it seemed to be solid. I opened it up and it was exatly the opposite.

ROUND 1 Ding, Ding

Stringers in bad shape.

S4300563.jpg

I supported the motor with a 4x4 accross the top and 2 cut 2x4s on the outside to the ground. the outdrive is also supported on the outside.

S4300561.jpg

S4300562.jpg

S4300564-1.jpg

S4300567.jpg

S4300566.jpg

S4300565.jpg

Basically anything that has a dark color on the floor was wet and or rotten. Word to the wise dont open it unless you plan on fixing it right.

Stay tuned for round 2.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Round 1, Floor/ Stringer removal OMG!

round 2, you may as well pull that engine. i think you will find more.

dhatcher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i agree with tash, man but you got your head on strait, do it right and it will last d :)

Baja1

Cadet

Join the club my friend. At least you are ahead of me. I started with pulling all my seats in the cockpit to get to the stringers and found all of them to be rotting also. I'm just now starting to put coats of resin on the forms for the seats.
I get to replace my stringers next.
BTW how did you post your pics?

Good luck

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

(oops. double post)

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Baja1, Hows the project coming along. If I remember right your working on a 250 ES, I'm trying to find one in my neck of the woods.

strizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lookin good wayno! I would also try to get that motor of yours out, it will make it a million times easier. And it wont hurt to check around the transom plate and what not.

Shop-Vac + good filter bag = best friend as you probably have found out!