Musicmann

Cadet
Hello All,
I'm trying to fix a fuel problem
1.spark good to all cylinders
2.carbs remove and cleaned extremely well
3.fuel pump cleaned and tested for pumping--so so

it seems like i'm not getting fuel into the cylinders
it will fire some times when fuel is directly sprayed into carbs but it won't start.
i did have the distributer replaced and setup the flywheel like so.
pulled the top plug (1) and turned the flywheel until the piston was at the top.i checked the timing arrow and it pointed to TDC.
the pulley on the distributor has a smal nib on one side that lines up with a nib on the casing,when i pull of the cap ,the rotor is pointing to #1 cylinder.
Does the fuel pump need to have alot of preasure?
it's not a steady stream.
I 'm frustrated and need a drink...help

Mike

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Merc 115 L6 fuel problem

Mike, If you remove the brass main jet cover, fuel chould come out of the carbs. If no fuel comes out, non got in (obviously). If you have the back-drag carbs, there is a screen under the brass fittings that th fuel line connects to . These sometimes get clogged causing a no fuel to carb symptom. Another possibility is that the inlet needle is stuck in the seat. Gumout will soften the plastic (original equipment) needles and cause them to stick.

On the non-backdrag carbs there is a paper pleated filter on the top of the bowl cover. I assume you removed and cleaned it?

If you have gas in the carbs, either the idle mixture needle is too lean or clogged. Set the idle mixture needle 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated.

As for your timing, put a timing light on it and see what it is set at.