How much life left?

leoprdfrog

Recruit
I'm looking at a really nice 1998 Hydra Sport Vector 180 everything about it seems like it is my perfect first boat though I'm questionable about the engine.

It is powered by a 98 Envinrude 115 Ocean Pro with 840 hours on it. Its supposed to be in great condition. However since this would be my first boat I have know idea how much longer life I can expect out of it. I know there must be a lot of variables involved but anyone have a rought idea?

Thank you
Kyle

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: How much life left?

I'd rather have an older Johnson that is easy to work on, than a new one that someone will charge you $90 an hour to change the plugs.... Theres 50 year old Johnson's still running fine out there!

deejaycee_2000

Captain

840 hours is still good, as long as you maintain it well (and it was well maintained) it can last you a lifetime .....

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not familair with your particular engine. Is it a carbed two stroke or a Ficht? If it's a Ficht, it's reputation is less than desirable.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A 98 115 Ocean Pro should be the 60* carb'd V4 looper. Great motor and should be an excellent choice on that hull. All things being as they should be - maintenance, no water in the gas or oil, good water & fuel delivery etc - you might say that at 840 hours the motor is just broke in good.

Just make sure to use good oil, fresh 87 octane, Champion plugs and don't lug it. You'll have many years of enjoyment.

leoprdfrog

Recruit

Thanks for the replies just been my big fear with looking at used boats is that my engines gonna dump on me. Though I've heard other places the johnsons and envinrudes are really reliable.

D

DJ

You heard from the expert-Dhadley.

I agree, if it went 800+hours, it will go that many more, with proper care.

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay, I will be Devils' Advocate with the disclaimer that I am not an expert like the other responders here:

Lifetime for what?

rings ,pistons, bearings etc may indeed have lots of life left. kinda like the reason car warranty covers the internals for 100,000 miles. Those parts are engineered well and have long life if, of course, you and previous owner fed it proper oil, gas, rpm, don't lug it, etc.

This is obvious, but........and here is the but..... what about all the other stuff? such as corroded electrical connections, worn out water pump impeller, leaking oil or gas hoses, trim motor hydraulics, crud in the tanks....these problems are gonna happen, and more likely if it is a used car or a used boat.

so when asking how much life is left, what part?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Corroded wiring connections, leaks, and water pumps come under the maintenance catagory. Keep the powerhead clean and the salt-free and the wiring and connections will last a very long time. Electrical components are like a light bulb. It may last forever, it may quit tomorrow. On any motor including your car.

When folks ask about the "life" of a motor in reference to "hours" they are talking about before a major overhaul is needed. Worn out rings and piston tolerences etc.