1996 Merc 115 Lower Unit Seals

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Hi we have a 1996 merc 115 and just changed the water pump.
When draining the oil it was milky and both the fill and drain plug gaskets were torn and shot. We thought that was the cause of the water leak.
Now we have a very strong stream of water from the tell tale and after a 15 min test drive on the bay the oil once again is milky.
I have a Seloc Manual but it does not give any info on how to change the seals in the lower unit.
Is this something that can we can do ourself?
Are any special tools needed or is an expensive visit to a dealer in the cards

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1996 Merc 115 Lower Unit Seals

If the carrier in your unit is held in with 2 bolts it will take no special tools the driveshaft seals are on the bottom of the lower w/pump housing and the prop shaft seals are in the outer end of the carrier, if you decide to change the shift shaft seal be sure to hold the shaft down while pulling the bushing up or the shaft will come out of the cam and the unit won't shift

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

What do you mean by the carrier????

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

How can I pressure test the lower unit to look for leaks??

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

I was given a tip how to pressure test the lower unit and this is what I did.
I removed the lower unit and put in on the work bench.
I have a gear pump to add oil to the lower unit with a hose and fitting that screws in a filler hole, so I took the hose and connector off the pump and I connected the hose with a piece of copper tube I had to my electric tire inflator and then sprayed soapy water everywhere that could possible leak and turned the air pump on and instantly bubbles were all around the prop shaft seals. I looked everywhere else and only the prop shaft was bubbling
I bought a seal kit and I have the parts.
Any more tips before I start this job??.
The bearing carrier is held on with two bolts