Max horsepower

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 14ft aluminum and the max motor for it is a 25 hp. Right now i have a 15 hp rudie, but im lookin for a 25 hp, but i talked to my buddy and he could give me a good deal on a 30hp. I really want the motor but I'm not sure about execeding the recommended hp (even if it is only by a little bit). Bad idea, good idea??

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Max horsepower

Bad idea.

People will come on and tell you how they run 20-50, even 100% over the rated hp and get away with it. Some will tell you that the Max rating is CYA or even irrelevant.

The max rated hp, ideally propped and rigged, will make your boat perform as well as it was designed to perform. More than that will put you at risk.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

25hp isn't far off from the 30hp ..... i'll say go for it .... if you are breaking the law by exeeding .. don't do it ... otherwise .. congrats ...

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

HP is one part of the equation. As I understand it, that relates to the thrust that the hull (transom) can take. Weight is another aspect to consider. You don't say if this is a 4 stroke motor. The weight difference between 2 and 4 strokes can be significant. Your hull will have another rating for weight including motor, gear and people. They're both important. On the surface, 5hp doesn't sound like alot but it's a 20% increase over the max recommended. That's easy to forget with these smaller motors...

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I can't see much diff between a 25 and 30. In general they are of similar weight and size. What exact motor is it?

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe the motor is about a 2001 mercury 2-stroke (i hate 4-strokes-bad expiriences)

Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you think about it the 30 is a 20% increase in power.
Thats Significant. If it was me and it was a good deal I would probably do it and be real careful.Keep in mind any mishaps could result in law suits involving the overpowered boat.As far as performance I don't think you could tell the difference without a stop watch and a speedometer.The boat would really scoot with the 25!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Just because you have thirty horses doesn't mean you need to use them. If you can get a real good deal thenn take it. Nothing says you have to go WOT.

Seafox230

Cadet

Freind did it went 25 to 30 on a little caralina skiff it decresed performence. the max it says to use is put into the boats exact specs after 25HP it will decrease safty on the boat

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Lawayers don't care if you are 5 or 50 hp over the max - - They would love to clean your clock if you have an accident. Also your insurance company will say they don't know you.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The max load and ratings are there for a reason. Sure there will always be a "safety margin" in there before anything gives out. You can put 6 people in a 4 man boat and it will still float....but how safe is it in rough weather with that load ??? Nowhere near as stable or safe as with the 4 people !!! Same with the motor. Max hp is max hp and especially for legal reasons.

Rikster

Cadet

I put a 35 hp on my 14 footer that was rated for a 30hp. I had no problems with it at all, even had it in the ocean Of course the data plate on the boat somehow fell off and I kinda thought for sure it said 35 anyway :^

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

One of the assumptions people make about overpowering is that they will be able to exercise due care and control over that extra power and so stay out of trouble. It isn't always possible.

Case in point: My uncle had a little Humber Jewel -- '68 vintage I think. Anyone remember those? About 13 feet long, but quite wide. Here's a link to a nicely restored example. http://www.oldmercs.com/Articles/DNagasaki.htm

The thing was rated for a 40hp motor but he got it with a 65 Merc on it and boy did it go. Problem was that engine was way too heavy for a boat that short and when you were dropping off plane you had to feather the throttle carefully in order to ease it back into the water without swamping.

You can guess what's coming, can't you...?

One day we're flying along, sitting up on the seatbacks, grinning like idiots when the engine up and quits dead. Turned out to be fuel starvation due to the gas cap vent spinning itself shut.

Well, it was bad enough trying to keep from falling face first on the windshield, but the best was yet to come. Without the ability to feather it down off the plane the boat just fell off of its own accord. Damn thing stood on its ass and I thought we were done. We scrambled up the deck to get some weight forward and just managed to keep it from going over backward. Fun times!

It was quite a reminder that sometimes you're just so much ballast along for the ride and in this particular case, the excess weight of a motor that was too big was bad, bad news.

A rather extreme example to be sure, but an education in the unexpected ways handling can be affected beyond the limits of rated capacity.