determine year and hp by model and serial number ?

adenreese

Recruit
can anyone help me identify this motor? I know its a johnson electramatic super sea horse(because it says it on it) but i dont know the HP or year. or what electramatic means
the model # is RKL-25D the serial # is 2343794
it would really help me out if anyone could tell me the year and hp of this motor.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: determine year and hp by model and serial number ?

RK-25 is a 64 40hp...L probably for long shaft, don't know on the D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there were 2 types of electric shift motor. there are a few around who know about these. edit you heading. to" electamatic, '64 40 hp." this will get there attention.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My list says it's a 1963, and a RK-26 is a '64. The L does indeed mean long shaft, but it may have been converted to short. The D is an indicator of any mid-year changes that may have been made--if any.

Anyway, a '63 Electromatic means it is electric shift. A switch in the control box sends current to one of two electro-magnetic coils in the lower unit which magnetize a hub which grabs a clutch spring which wraps tight around the hub and makes it "in gear". Two coils, two hubs and springs, one for fwd and one for rev.

The important thing for you to know is that it uses ONLY OMC/BRP Premium Blend oil in the gearcase. It used to be called "Type C". And if your gearcase leaks or gets water in it, get it fixed now. Waiting can get VERY expensive.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

RK-25 is a 64 40hp

Big whoops! Hit the wrong number yep, 63. Weird too, as I have a 63 40HP outside on the work table coming down, and should know it by heart. And its really a LARK SELECTRIC shift